PDA

View Full Version : National Probate Index and FreeBMD Conflict

terrysfamily
11-12-2010, 9:08 PM
Looking at the Probate Index on Ancestry my cousin has found this entry;

James Philip Griffiths of Evesham died 20th October 1929 – Administration 22nd June 1930

Ok, I understand Probate/Administration can usually take a while to sort out, I’ve found there’s usually a gap of 6-8 months. So this would match.

The only death for a James P Griffiths on FreeBMD is;

Deaths Dec 1928 Griffiths James P 78 Evesham 6c 181

Which is a whole 12 months earlier!

This is the only death for the same name / same district that I can find.

I’ve looked at the original document in FreeBMD and it defiantly says 1928.

So which one is wrong? Or is there a simpler explanation?

Any suggestions?

Terry

Neil Wilson
11-12-2010, 9:10 PM
There might be nothing wrong. Sometimes, Administrations sometimes can take a long time to sort out, could even be longer than what you have here.

terrysfamily
11-12-2010, 9:36 PM
Thank you Neil. It wasn't so much the date of the Probate that I was confused about. It was the date of death.

James Philip Griffiths of Evesham died 20th October 1929 – Administration 22nd June 1930
The only death for a James P Griffiths on FreeBMD is;

Deaths Dec 1928 Griffiths James P 78 Evesham 6c 181

Terry

AnjaliUK
11-12-2010, 9:53 PM
So which one is wrong? Or is there a simpler explanation?

I'm sure it will turn out that one of them is in error, although one possibilitiy is that he died somewhere other than home and the death was registered there.

Personally, I think the NPI is more likely to be wrong, the date of death may have been as given by the executors or copied down wrong from the certificate or typed up wrong in the index later on. The further removed from the original source, the more chance of errors, and the two year gap between death and probate may have contributed to the slip-up.

The certificate almost certainly won't be wrong because it was written up shortly after the death when it was still 1928. However, there is always a chance that the GRO is wrong and further, freeBMD does have a few mistakes on it. You can narrow this down by checking the image on freeBMD to make sure the original GRO entry does say 1928 (click the glasses symbol next to the record, then click on 'view image' or something similar).

terrysfamily
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you AnjaliUK

You can narrow this down by checking the image on freeBMD to make sure the original GRO entry does say 1928 (click the glasses symbol next to the record, then click on 'view image' or something similar).

I’v already done so.

I’ve looked at the original document in FreeBMD and it defiantly says 1928.

Of course you’re probably correct with there being so long between death date and probate date mistakes can and do happen.

Thank you very much for your explanation. That will do for me.

Terry

Kerrywood
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
According to the Calendar, the grant of administration was made on 22 June 1929 (not 1930). So the death date of 20 October 1929 given in the Calendar must be an error.

terrysfamily
11-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Thank you Kerrywood, that cousin of mine is gonna get :hang:, I :gun_bandana: him for his last mistake |biggrin|

I know it's not really his mistake, but i'm feeling generous.

Terry

Waitabit
13-12-2010, 9:17 AM
Now that's a serious worry Terry for when you're not feeling generous.?
er,um..we're not cousins ,are we?

SBSFamilyhistory
13-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I know of a case where the will took 16 years to proove!

terrysfamily
13-12-2010, 5:36 PM
Now that's a serious worry Terry for when you're not feeling generous.?
er,um..we're not cousins ,are we?

Hmmm, My Aunty, Uncle and 7 children, their husbands and wives along with their children and their husbands and wives and their children live in OZ,

sooooooo maybe just maybe. May I suggest you RUN, RUN as fast as you can :willy_nilly: :smilielol5:

I know of a case where the will took 16 years to proove!

GULP :yikes: