View Full Version : IGI record 1849 not found on UKBMD

03-12-2010, 6:36 AM
Can someone please have a go at finding this record for me to order a marriage cert?

Marriage for Catharine Roper (or Catherine) and Matthew Glilean (probably Gillianne)
03 JUN 1849 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

I've found Matthew in 1881, 1891, 1901, with a second wife, Wilhelmina (Mina), but can't find him prior.
I also can't find a death record for Catherine. She appears to be living alone in Jersey in 1851.

Kevin Garrad
03-12-2010, 7:00 AM
Volume 20, page 573.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Jun 1849

Allen Mary Sarah Manchester 20 573
Bradley Ellen Manchester 20 573
Brookes Charles Manchester 20 573
Brooks Charles Manchester 20 573
Glilean Matthew Manchester 20 573
Roper Catharine Manchester 20 573
Schofield Joseph Manchester 20 573
Tilston Ann Manchester 20 573
Tiltson Ann Manchester 20 573
Towle Alexander Pearson Manchester 20 573
Woolley Rachel Manchester 20 573

03-12-2010, 7:29 AM
See Kevin's reply for searching the GRO index.

If you do want to search via UKBMD site...........

From the home page - ukbmd.org.uk - select the county - Lancashire

From the list available, select - LancashireBMD

Move your cursor over 'Marriages' and select 'search marriages'

Select 1849 and just enter surname 'roper' and search

Click on the reference, and you get a form to send off to Manchester City Council with your dosh to order the certificate.

Kevin Garrad
03-12-2010, 7:39 AM
There is a Matthew Gallienne in the 1871 census, with a wife Catherine.
Found in Vauxhall Street, St Helier, Jersey. Reference RG10/5756/181/11

He is 58, and a Weslyan Minister. Born in Guernsey
She is 54 and born in Jersey.
Daughters Catherine Rachel, 26, and Ann Henrietta 24.

Might this be your chap?

Also found in 1861, transcribed as Gallien.
5 sons and 2 daughters, apparently all born in France?

Reference RG09/4382/54/10

Kevin Garrad
03-12-2010, 7:55 AM
Another way to get the certificate is via Lancashire BMD. (Put WWW in front) lancashirebmd.org.uk

Click on Marriages (Pink box, top right), and Search Marriages.
Complete the search box. (I just put year, Manchester, and surname Glilean).

Click on the reference number, then click on the reference number in the next screen to get an order form.

Most of the fields will have been filled in, and this can be sent to Manchester City Council (address on the form).