PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe it!!

busyglen
03-06-2005, 11:30 AM
In the words of Victor Meldrew `I don't believe it'!!

For 4 years (when I started out on Geneology) I have been looking for my Naish family. Now, I am no different than anyone else, in that things are seldom easy in this game and there is a lot of `Sherlock Holmes' tactics needed to worm out the details. As a newbie, I was prepared for a long haul, especially as I knew nothing at all about my gt. grandfather. I started out by buying the 1881 Census CD's and eventually found him via my grandmothers name in Chelsea. His place of birth was given as `Berkshire'. Great, but where? I eventually managed to get a place from the 1901 Census which said `Birch Hill'. No luck....zilch. Someone did suggest Beech Hill, but couldn't find him. Then, I finally found his sister who consistently said Beech Hill, so I started on that. Still no luck. Then....(as I mentioned in an earlier thread) I was having a clear-out of all the paper notes and came across a message I'd had saying that there was a Joseph Naish in Stratfield Saye, which was the Tything of Beech Hill. Eureka!! I'd missed this important piece of information earlier, but now I had him!! From help on the Forum, I've pieced together quite a bit and was feeling really pleased.

Today, I have been having another huge clear out of paper that wasn't in my files.....some, four years old!! This was piled on a stool in the corner, so I kept ignoring it, as I thought it wasn't important. How wrong was I?!! :(

Going through it all before I shredded it, I came across 5 sheets of paper, headed Descendants of John Naish. This was something my brother printed off the web, when I started out, as he thought it might fit in somewhere. How right he was!! Bearing in mind that I didn't know until recently, that Joseph's father was John, I discounted it because most came from Swallowfield. Further on I found Joseph, stating he was born in Stratfield Saye.....again I only recently found this was the Tything for Beech Hill!!!

This is my line, and goes back to 1720. It also has details of two of Joseph's brothers and various other lines. I will now have to find the owner of this tree, so that we can add my details and check things out.

So, pieces of paper CAN help in the hunt......as long as you put them where you can easily find them!! |banghead|

Glenys

AnnB
03-06-2005, 6:05 PM
Hello Glenys
I wonder if you would like to come and have a rummage through my 'bits' of paper ;) I just know I've got a couple of vital clues lurking amongst them, but every time I have a look, I either get side tracked, or I give up because the task seems impossible. I can even visualise one bit of paper I know is hidden somewhere - why couldn't I have been more organised pre-computer :(
Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
03-06-2005, 6:39 PM
Do what I did Ann. Take a pile each day and go through it, scrapping that which is obsolete. The rest I put into the folders as I went along if I was sure that is what I wanted, and a pile of `must check'. If you run out of time, just put the balance on the top of the pile to start on the next day or whatever. I'm nearly down to the bottom now, and have picked up lots of things that I had completely forgotten about.

I `intend' to be more tidy in future, but I can't promise! It's that little thing that is called `time' by us busy women! I spend such a lot of time tidying up behind my husband, that I don't have time for myself.....well that's what I tell him. ;)

Hope you have some luck finding that elusive piece of paper soon.

Glenys

Geoffers
04-06-2005, 9:57 PM
I came across 5 sheets of paper, headed Descendants of John Naish.....Bearing in mind that I didn't know until recently, that Joseph's father was John, I discounted it because most came from Swallowfield. Further on I found Joseph, stating he was born in Stratfield Saye.....again I only recently found this was the Tything for Beech Hill!!! This is my line, and goes back to 1720.
As you've now got back this far (and hopefully the research you've found is correct) a little snippet for you - Well actually a reference to a snippet that may be of interest if you get a copy of the Board of Stamps, Apprentice Records CDs from Archive CD Books.

An entry in CD5, IR1/50, PDF page 439 entry No.1 - halfway down the page under the date 19th July 1744.

This entry refers to a John NAISH, his father and Swallowfield.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

busyglen
05-06-2005, 6:37 PM
Thanks Geoffers, that could be a great help. I'm still trying to pinpoint where I got this info from, but I am 99.9% certain that it's correct. Unfortunately, I didn't put a note on it.....stupid or what? I think I know where it came from, so am attempting to check it out. However, that information could prove very interesting and I shall endeavour to get the CDs when I can afford it.

I have just recently bought the 1849 Post Office Directory for Hants. and found several Naishes and Keep as butchers and farmers. I'm going to have fun sorting them all out now.

Thanks again. :)

Glenys