PDA

View Full Version : A. E. HARCOURT - help with identification

Ladydidog
30-11-2010, 3:45 AM
I have been looking on the military records and I came across a A.E. Harcourt who was killed in action at Vryheid I have two conflicting military numbers 25266 and 22566.

I am thinking that you probably have been resources than I have on the military records and any help you could give me would be appreciated
Thanks

Margaret

Kerrywood
30-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I have been looking on the military records and I came across a A.E. Harcourt who was killed in action at Vryheid I have two conflicting military numbers 25266 and 22566
As far as I can tell from the medal rolls and Boer War casualties list, this A. E. HARCOURT was a Gunner in the 2nd Co. (Western Division) Royal Garrison Artillery and died on 11 Dec 1900 at Lancaster Hill. I cannot see any confirmation of his first name(s) or age.

I will copy part of your message to our Boer War forum, where you might get more help in identifying this RGA gunner.

ladysmith
02-12-2010, 7:49 AM
Margaret - The roll shows 22566 Gnr. A.E. Harcourt No. 2 Company Western Division Royal Garrison Artillery entitled to the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal & Laings Nek and KIA at Vryheid (date indistinct).

David

Ladydidog
02-12-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks David, will have to try and do some more research to see what the A.E. stands for.
Thanks again