PDA

View Full Version : Where can I go from here...tracing death certs

Sheleen
03-06-2005, 1:38 AM
Here's the story...
I was told by a relative that my g-g-grandfather had died in 1948 aged about 87 years old. I believe his information.... I have no reason to doubt him - but the info was from another source, and we both wanted to find out ourselves how and when he passed away.
I looked through 1837online... and found nothing. I know that my g-g-grandad died in Foundry Lane in Shirley... his wife died exactly six weeks later at Balaclava close, Bitterne (both Southampton, Hampshire). G-g-grandad died on Good Friday.

My nan recalls that this was about the right time...and confirmed the dates exactly. I even have a fair idea on who reported the death of g-g-grandma.

I looked for their surname on 1837 - and even a few variations. No luck at all.
Next I tried LDS... nothing. freeBMD...nothing.

Contacted local registry office (southampton)... and they found (can you guess the answer...?) yep, they found nothing.

Winchester registry office wdid a search and found nothing again.
There's a pattern emerging here, can you see it? lol
I then heard that g-g-grandfather left a will... that made a few people unhappy. The will was possibly changed to include his daughter, and that change was possibly made my his wife.
So, renewed with interest I sent off to York Probate registry for his will...or her will (I paid for both searches...1947 and four years following). I got the letter back... and they have found nothing.

Where can I go from here?
I am confined to my house, and can't go anywhere...
Where else can I search for these elusive death certificates?...or even proof of when they both died?

This is an ongoing story...part of the story, in fact, of Elisha Binham who I wrote about in another forum here. I don't know why, exactly, this has got me so caught up and engrossed... but I really would like to find out that Elisha and Rosa have their grave well-tended...and I would like to be part of that tending when I feel able to get out.
Any ideas would be more than welcome...
I have to add this... I have been unwell lately - and my short-term memory has become a bit...dodgy shall we say?! lol. If I have posted this already on B-Gen, please accept my apologies... I don't mean to be annoying :D

Peter Goodey
03-06-2005, 8:12 AM
Deaths Mar 1951

BINHAM Elisha C 89 Winchester 6b 1053

Deaths Jun 1951

BINHAM Rosa 82 Southampton 6b 514

Geoffers
03-06-2005, 8:23 AM
I was told by a relative that my g-g-grandfather had died in 1948 aged about 87 years old. I looked through 1837online... and found nothing. I know that my g-g-grandad died in Foundry Lane in Shirley... his wife died exactly six weeks later at Balaclava close, Bitterne (both Southampton, Hampshire). G-g-grandad died on Good Friday.If all your searches so far have failed to confirm verbal information; it suggests one of two possibilities, either the names are incorrect or the date of death is wrong. Have you looked at entries for 1951, there seem a couple of possibilities there!

Geoffers

edit - I was searching an typing whilst Peter found the answer (he's a quicker searcher than I) - but at least it shows that you should only take verbal information as being a guide

Good luck
Geoffers

Peter Goodey
03-06-2005, 8:55 AM
"a "1947 plus four years" search would not necessarily find the will of someone who died in 1951."

I think the standard search period isn't "1947 and four years following" as Sheleen stated. It's actually four years starting with the stated date of death. So it would have covered 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1950 only.

Sheleen
06-06-2005, 1:19 PM
If you could see me typing now... be a dear and pass me a tissue (as grandma used to say)... I have searched so long for these two... and you found them so quickly! How do you do it??
I looked under every variation of the name possible - from 1945 to 1950 (I thought I had searched further, but apparently not)... and here I have two people finding the answer ! I feel a little bit on the un-intelligent side now lol

I've just phoned my mum and told her.... we would both like to thank you
so... Thank you! :)

Geoffers
06-06-2005, 1:54 PM
I looked under every variation of the name possible - from 1945 to 1950 (I thought I had searched further, but apparently not)... and here I have two people finding the answer ! I feel a little bit on the un-intelligent side now lol
Don't feel that way, we all start somewhere and the nice thing about these forums is that there's quite a few people who like to try and help. As I mentioned previously though, just take information from memory as a rough guide which may help you to narrow down a search.

Good luck

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Wirral
01-09-2005, 9:41 PM
Checked the Probate Indexes at Liverpool library today.

Binham Elisha Coyde of 234 Desborough-rd Eastleigh Hampshire died 23 March 1951. Administration (with Will) London 21 December to Winifred May Smale (wife of William John Smale) & Frederick Charles Binham builders labourer. Effects £4722 17s 6d. Former grant P.R. 23 May revoked.

Binham Rosa of 26 Balaclava -rd Bitterne Southampton widow died 13 May 1951. Probate London 11 October to Winifred May Smale (wife of William John Smale) & Frederick Charles Binham builders labourer. Effects £4952 10s 5d.

See this link
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm