PDA

View Full Version : Soldier John Jarvis and Emma Robbins

busyglen
31-05-2005, 6:45 PM
It's about 6 months since my last plea for help, so I'm trying another tack, in the hopes that someone will be able to give me some ideas.

My gt.gt. grandfather John JARVIS was born c1823 I know not where. I first found him in Buckingham, Bucks. when he married Emma ROBBINS on 22.08.1842. On the certificate they are shown as both aged 19, and John is shown as a Soldier. Father of John is shown as John GREEN?? and father of Emma is Thomas.

I found Emma (I think) on the 1841 Census shown as aged 15 (rounded down)
but I haven't been able to find John and I don't have access to the 1841 now.
I think also that I have Emma's Baptism at Buckingham church on Feb. 2nd 1823, daur. of Thomas and Mary ROBBINS, but she was shown as Eliza not Emma. No sign of John.

Their son Alfred Strong JARVIS was born on 31.03.1846 in Buckingham, and I believe him to be their only child. I searched the 1851 Census and there is no sign of the family at all. Alfred Strong JARVIS next appears in Chelsea, London in 1864 at his marriage to Elizabeth Jones. (His father John was shown as a Labourer and Decd. so obviously had left the Army). On the 1871 Census he gave his pob as Westminster, and I believe this to be because he was orphaned prior to 1851 and moved to London to possibly stay with relatives.

I spent a bit of time on the 1837online, looking for deaths around 1846 to 1851, but a bit costly, so wasn't able to do it all. I found a John JARVIS death in Amersham Bucks in June Qtr. 1847 and also a John JARVIS death in Amersham Bucks Dec. Qtr. 1850. I also found an Emma JARVIS death in Amersham, Sept. Qtr. 1874, which I wondered if it was an error and should have been 1847. Amersham is quite a distance from Buckingham, so I don't know it these are they. The only way is to get the Certs. to find out, but there are other John's and Emma's as well, in other places.

So....I now need to find out.
1. As John was a soldier, what Regiment would he have been with? Thats assuming he was living in Bucks when he joined.
2. Where John and Emma died.
3. Where Alfred Strong Jarvis went to, and who did he stay with.

Any ideas folks as to what to do or where to go next? I should really be grateful of some help on this.

Glenys

kcapes
20-10-2007, 11:05 PM
HELLO
13 NEW GROSVENOR PLACE MIDDLESEX
CIVIL PARISH ST GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE
JOHN JARVIS 28 POLICE CONSTABLE BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
EMMA SOPHIA JARVIS 27 "
EMMA JARVIS 15 MIDDLESEX PIMLICO
MARIA CUFF SISTER IN LAW SURREY LAMBETH
ALFRED JARVIS SON 5 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
SO JOHN NOT DEAD SO AT LEAST YOU KNOW THE DEATHS ARE WRONG AND BEING A POLICEMAN GIVES YOU ANOTHER AVENUE OF RESEARCH.

NOW I FOUND SOMETHING QUITE WEIRD 1861 27 UXBRIDGE ROAD HILLINGDON
JOHN W 38 EMMA 37 ELIZA A 3 NOT JARVIS BUT MATTINGLY HE IS A POLICEMAN AND THEY HAVE A VISITOR REBECCA ROBINS 25 EMMA'S MAIDEN NAME

busyglen
21-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi, Thanks for your message, although my request was a couple of years old.

I do have the 1851 details, and I established that John Jarvis was a policeman, and I have his police records now. He died in 1870 at the same address as above, but alone.
Maria Cuff turned out to be John's step-sister, and led me to finding his mother.

I was unable to find John and family on the 1861 Census as that particular part of the Census appears to go have gone AWOL. As John was still living at St. George Hanover Sq. in 1870 when he died, and alone.....I am now wondering if this could be Emma having re-married (or living in sin..). I couldn't find Emma anywhere after the 1851, apart from an Emma Jarvis in the 1881 as a washerwoman, and coming from Bucks.

Thanks for this information....you could have stumbled on why I have been unable to trace Emma. You have also given me food for thought on why John was discharged from the Police Force......if Emma went off with another Policeman, he could have had a fight or something with him, which caused his discharge. I believe Emma also had a cousin Rebecca....will have to go and look my records up.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to look at this I really appreciate it. :)

Glenys

busyglen
21-10-2007, 5:39 PM
Is it possible that you could help me a bit further on this please? I don't have access to the Census at the moment, and wonder if you had any further details on the 1861 at 27 Uxbridge Rd. Hillingdon? Did you by any chance notice where the occupants were born?

I think you have really stumbled on what happened with my gt.gt grandfather's family. I've checked his Police record, and he was dismissed in 1853, so possibly Emma moved out around this time after an altercation with John Mattingly. Of course I need to go into this in depth, but on the face of it, it `could' explain a lot.

Again my thanks for deciding to look for this family.

Glenys :)

kcapes
22-10-2007, 12:06 AM
HELLO AGAIN
JOHN MATTINGLY WAS BORN LANGLEY BUCKS
EMMA THE SAME
ELIZA HAYES MIDD'SEX
REBECCA ROBBINS LANGLEY AGAIN
GOOD LUCK GLAD TO HELP. JUST SHOUT IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE.

busyglen
22-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much for your help....much appreciated, although looking at this now, I think I have probably got excited too quickly.......it doesn't look as if this is my Emma, as she was born in Buckingham. Will hang on to this though just in case. ;)

Glenys