PDA

View Full Version : Hampshire Coastguards

Derek W
30-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Can anyone tell me if there likely to be any records available of Coastguards in Hampshire in the 1850s, and Devon in the 1860's? Both myself and my wife have a Coastguard featuring in our records.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Derek

Geoffers
30-05-2005, 3:24 PM
Can anyone tell me if there likely to be any records available of Coastguards in Hampshire in the 1850s, and Devon in the 1860's? Both myself and my wife have a Coastguard featuring in our records.
Have a browese through TNA's research guide to see what is available
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=54
I believe the records you will need are in class ADM175

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

busyglen
30-05-2005, 5:14 PM
Derek, would you like to give us the names? I have come across Coastguards that were at some time serving at both Counties you mention, and later found elsewhere.

Try also http://members.lycos.co.uk/s0uthbury which has details of Coastguards on the Isle of Wight Hampshire. You may find something there.

Glenys

AnnB
30-05-2005, 6:35 PM
Hello Derek
There is also a page on GENUKI which may prove useful at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HAM/coastguard_intro.html
Best wishes
Ann

Derek W
30-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Hello Glenys

My Great Grandmother Caroline Elizabeth James was born in Southwick, Fareham in 1851. Her father James James (!) is by then deceased, but listed as a carpenter and coastguard, which makes me suspect that his premature demise may be due to the latter occupation, rather than the former.

I'd be interested to know if you have any information on this, but in the meantime, I'll check out the suggested website.

Cheers

Derek

busyglen
31-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Hello Derek,

Thanks for the details.

I've had a look at some of the resources that I have, but afraid nothing showing up at the moment.

Actually, it's quite possible that James was a Carpenter Coastguard. I have found several living in Coastguard houses on various Censuses, named as such, but am not sure what part they actually played. Whether they looked after the boats, or houses isn't clear, but it is interesting, so I will endeavour to find out.

Was your Gt. Grandmother the only child, or is this as far as you have got? If there were more children, it could help to find out where they were born, as they were often in different locations.

Will let you know if I find anything further that might help.

Glenys

busyglen
05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Derek, I queried the Carpenter Occupation on one of the Government sites, and this is the reply I had back.
Thanks for your communication.
I can confirm that to the best ofy knowledge each of the Coastguard Districts under the Admiralty 1856 - 1922 and possibly the Customs CG employed a District carpenter. Each of the stations would have two boats (a four oared and a six oared gig) to be maintained and repaired. He also supervised the building of new boats often locally made. Not sure about the accomodation as these would be under the care of the ministry of sticks and bricks.

Hope that is of some interest.

Glenys

Derek W
07-06-2005, 5:56 PM
Glenys

Thanks for the detective work, it's a possibility I hadn't considered before.

I must get myself organised, and order a death certificate to see if this casts further light on the matter.

Thanks again

Derek

busyglen
07-06-2005, 6:14 PM
My pleasure Derek. :)

Glenys