PDA

View Full Version : Bristol street names in 1901

esjadee
29-05-2005, 1:47 PM
Hi, I have an image from the 1901 census RG13/2395/123/39. It is for Civil Parish of Bristol part of, Ecclesiastical parish of St Thomas part of Eastville, Ward of municipal borough of Stapleton, part of Parliamentary Borough part of Bristol Northern Division.

The family I am interested in are the Dascombes at the bottom of the page. I cannot make out the name of the street ,something Parade, and I cannot find the streets either side of it on any current map either. Now, I live in Bristol and am aware of the many changes that have been made in the last century and as the M32 now runs through parts of Eastville & Stapleton these roads have very likely long gone.

Is there anyone who can identify the road name or point me in the direction of a good street map for the 1900's that would help. I should add that all the street maps I have found so far don't list these places either, possibly because the roads were on or around the outer edges of the boundary of Bristol.

Thanks for reading this.
Sue

Rod Neep
29-05-2005, 3:07 PM
With a query such as this, I always dive for a directory.

There are two that will be useful to you specifically Kelly's 1897 Directory of Gloucestershire & Bristol with a Bristol map!
J. Wright & Co Directory of Bristol 1901

Its difficult to find a "something Parade" without the clue of a first letter of the street, and in fact, I think that a "parade" is quite likely to be a row of houses on a street rather than a street name?

Anyhow, below are the DASCOMBE householders from the 1901 Matthews (if your man rented an apartment then he may not be a householder).... and also an extract from the map in the 1897 directory of that part of Bristol.

Once we find the street... then we can look deeper in the directories, as both these have full street by street, house by house listings.

Cheers
Rod

esjadee
30-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Rod

Many thanks for your reply it is most helpful. I think most if not all of the Dascombes listed are in my tree. Although I am only distantly related to them we do have a common ancestor. So far I have concentrated on using the BMD indexes and the censuses for my research. Obviuosly I need to think about branching out bit more now and looking at other sources. The only thing is I find the directories a bit confusing, there are so many of them and I am not sure about what is in them or what they relate to. The only ones I have looked at which were for a different branch of my tree didn't seem to help me much so I havent really bothered since.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.
Sue

DaveM
17-06-2005, 9:30 PM
The 1901 J. Wrights Directory (from Archive CD Books) shows Albert Dascombe living on Ridgeway near where Huyton Road Intersects (part of Huyton road is on current maps. I wonder if Huyton is the street in question.
If you look at House painter on this same page, the enumerator finishes his H with a grand flourish that looks like and "e" . If you remove that, you get Huyton

Dave Milsom
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

esjadee
20-06-2005, 9:54 PM
Hi Dave

Brilliant, you are absolutely right. I just needed a fresh eye on it. The thing is I suspected it was near Eastville park but I just couldn't make it out. Many thanks for your help.

Sue