PDA

View Full Version : Frederic Ronald McNAIR: Headstone

spison
26-10-2010, 9:33 PM
I'd love to know what he was doing here!

Headstone inscription reads:

Frederic Ronald McNair son of Frederic and the late Mary McNair of Epson, Surrey, England.
Captain East Surrey Regiment 1915 - 1919
Died 17th December 1941 aged 52 years.

Headstone located in Jerilderie Cemetery, NSW, Australia - Church of England section

An image of the headstone will be found on the Australian Cemeteries Index (once I submit it to the database)

Jane

SueNSW
27-10-2010, 3:00 AM
Possibly "troubled" after his war service???

He appears to have attended Charterhouse School - 1903 - 1907 and been an articled clerk to a solicitor pre war - but looks to have sailed to Australia in 1921 - 3rd class - no occupation shown

NSW Electoral Rolls for 1930 and 1937 list him (presumably) with a k on the end of his first name as a jackeroo at Moonbria in the sub division of Deniliquin, Riverina

Presume you've checked Trove Jane???

Cheers
Sue

SueNSW
27-10-2010, 3:10 AM
Frederic(k) Ronald's father George Lewis Frederic McNair was a solicitor in England and his father was listed on George's remarriage in Paddington (London) in 1913 as a Captain in the Indian Army - so some "following in family footsteps" too

Cheers
Sue

SueNSW
27-10-2010, 3:19 AM
Death Notice in The Argus (Melbourne) 17/12/1941 lists him as Ronald and just says he died at Moonbria, Jerilderie on the 15th

Hopefully something will turn up locally for him??

Cheers
Sue

spison
27-10-2010, 7:11 AM
Thanks for looking. He's not actually mine. I'm just inquisitive but all this wonderful info. might help someone looking for members of the family who can't find him.

I'm preparing the database for Jerilderie Cemetery that I photographed on my last holiday and I though it was surprising that he was there. I'm up to my eyeballs in headstones - Jerilderie is surprisingly large - so I haven't looked at TROVE. The headstone spells his name without the 'k'.

Jane