PDA

View Full Version : Spelling of Rhys / Rees?

Jonesy
24-10-2010, 5:21 PM
Does anyone have a view on the correct spelling of the christian name Rees / Rhys?

Mr grandfather, Rhys(?) Jones of Trehafod, writes and signs his name "Rees" on the 1911 census, but "Rhys" on his WW1 sign-up papers.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/Jonesy127/th_RhysSig.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/Jonesy127/RhysSig.jpg)

Which is the more common spelling?

olliecat
24-10-2010, 5:49 PM
Which is the more common spelling?

Looking at the census - results for Rhys/Rees in the Pontypridd reg district 1900 +/- 10

As a first name
45 results for Rhys
175 results for Rees

As a surname
8 results for Rhys
1,801 results for Rees

Looks like Rees is more common but there are still quite a few with first name Rhys.

Ms Tarfgi
24-10-2010, 8:38 PM
Rhys is the Welsh spelling, Rees the English spelling.

Ladkyis
25-10-2010, 6:39 AM
no matter which spelling is Welsh and which English it really does depend on so many things. The Welsh spelling would have been more usual if the person writing it was a welsh speaker and lived anywhere in Wales except the very south east - nothing is usual in the old county of Monmouthshire - Oh and the English speaking part of Pembrokeshire. However, If you analyse the spread of each over a long time period you will probably find that the use of each one fluctuated according to how popular each spelling had become.

Clear as mud? yep, that's Wales for you

Ms Tarfgi
25-10-2010, 9:00 AM
Yes, Ladkyis - I was oversimplifying it somewhat. But Trehafod is in the old county of Glamorgan, not quite as Anglicised as Monmouthshire.

Ladkyis
25-10-2010, 7:04 PM
Yes, Ladkyis - I was oversimplifying it somewhat. But Trehafod is in the old county of Glamorgan, not quite as Anglicised as Monmouthshire.

Not quite, but still a whole lot different from those counties further north and west. It is so difficult to get across just how different the south east of Wales is to the rest of the country. You have to be here and hear Wenglish being spoken - sorry. you orter be yer and yer us talkin' like see, an' then you'll see, see. Thass worrit's like see!