PDA

View Full Version : TAYLOR - Maltster - Basthorpe(?)

Chris Trigg
28-05-2005, 2:51 PM
THOMAS TAYLOR was attested into the Grenadier Guards at Nottingham on 26 Oct 1859. Birthplace was given as Basthorpe near Nottingham and age on enlistment given as 20 years and 6 months. Noted in his military records that he married MARY DORAN at the Parish Church of St Stephens Westminster, Middx on 7 Aug 1876, and this marriage certificate gives his father as JOHN TAYLOR, maltster.

I have been unable to find any trace of THOMAS TAYLOR's birth in the Nottingham area despite having a pretty precise fix on the date. I have tried (expensively) buying a lot of different THOMAS TAYLOR birth certificates around the 1839 time without success. Any ideas where Basthorpe is and where a local maltings was to try and fix this family? I have tried the likely phonetic variations (Besthorpe, Bilsthorpe etc) in my searches, and I have the 1841 Census of Nottinghamshire but without an index its a little difficult to search!

Regards

Chris

kmdward
01-06-2005, 4:49 AM
Glover's 1844 History & Directory of Nottingham show John Taylor, corn miller at Ilkeston Road, freeman.
White's 1844 History, Directory & Gazetteer of Nottingham show John Taylor, corn miller at Ilkeston Rd New Radford.
This could easly be the father of Thomas, as John may have slightly changed his occupation by the time of Thomas's marriage.
I suggest you look up the 1841 census for Ilkeston Road to see if you can find the family, at least its a starting point.

Both directories are OF COURSE available from Archieve CD books.

kmdward
01-06-2005, 4:51 AM
[/quote] Any ideas where Basthorpe is and where a local maltings was to try and fix this family? I have tried the likely phonetic variations (Besthorpe, Bilsthorpe etc) in my searchees, and I have the 1841 Census of Nottinghamshire but without an index its a little difficult to search!

Regards

Chris[/QUOTE]

you could try Basford or Bagthorpe

Chris Trigg
01-06-2005, 7:31 AM
Any ideas where Basthorpe is and where a local maltings was to try and fix this family? I have tried the likely phonetic variations (Besthorpe, Bilsthorpe etc) in my searches, and I have the 1841 Census of Nottinghamshire but without an index its a little difficult to search!

Regards

Chris[/QUOTE]you could try Basford or Bagthorpe[/QUOTE]
Thanks - I've tried both of those, and even got a birth certificate from Basford for THOMAS TAYLOR, but the father's name was incorrect!

Chris Trigg
01-06-2005, 7:39 AM
Glover's 1844 History & Directory of Nottingham show John Taylor, corn miller at Ilkeston Road, freeman.
White's 1844 History, Directory & Gazetteer of Nottingham show John Taylor, corn miller at Ilkeston Rd New Radford.
This could easly be the father of Thomas, as John may have slightly changed his occupation by the time of Thomas's marriage.
I suggest you look up the 1841 census for Ilkeston Road to see if you can find the family, at least its a starting point.

Both directories are OF COURSE available from Archieve CD books.Thanks - I have the 1844 Directory from ACDB but I hadn't thought of a corn miller becoming a maltster. I also have the 1841 Census, but Nottingham is spread across 4 CDs - any idea which Ward it was in to ease my searching?

Regards

Chris

kmdward
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Whites Directory, shows the address as Ilkeston Rd New Radford, so I suggest you try New Radford for the 1841 census. First.
Unfortunately Ilkeston Road appears to be one of those long roads that crosses several districts, and is also fragmented on the enurameters books as they wandered up and down it, diving into side lanes etc.
so it may be a long search.

Chris Trigg
06-06-2005, 9:01 PM
Whites Directory, shows the address as Ilkeston Rd New Radford, so I suggest you try New Radford for the 1841 census. First.
Unfortunately Ilkeston Road appears to be one of those long roads that crosses several districts, and is also fragmented on the enurameters books as they wandered up and down it, diving into side lanes etc.
so it may be a long search.
Thanks again for the information and apologies for the delay in replying as I've been away on business. I should be able to do some checking in the Census later this week I hope.

Regards

Chris