PDA

View Full Version : Convict Prison, Princetown, Devon.

Ajay
28-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I have just discovered on the 1881 census that a distant male relative was in "Her Majesty Convict Prison", Princetown. How can one found out what his crime was and the length of sentence?

AnnB
28-05-2005, 1:49 PM
I don't know how helpful it will be, but take a look at http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/community/the_county/record_office/record_offices_in_devon/guide_sources/crime/dartmoor_prison.htm This is the Devon County Council website for everything to do with Dartmoor Prison (Princetown) records.
Best wishes
Ann

uksearch
28-05-2005, 2:33 PM
The records of Quarter Sessions or Sessions (large towns like Manchester held courts more often than once a quarter) should be held in the main local library.So you need to find out where he was convicted.Of course these records may have been destroyed as he could have be convicted many years earlier than 1881.

UK

Trish
28-05-2005, 2:48 PM
The records of Quarter Sessions or Sessions (large towns like Manchester held courts more often than once a quarter) should be held in the main local library...Not as good a suggestion but you could also try doing a search on the UK Archives site, www.a2a.org.uk (http://www.a2a.org.uk/), which has listings for quarter sessions and does have some references to Dartmoor Prison. Try searching for your ancestor's name in tandem with some other reference word such as convict or Dartmoor.

Trish

uksearch
28-05-2005, 3:22 PM
Why don't you post his name and details from the 1881 Census? This will help as we can then look to see where he was in 1871, or if you have those details post them as well. The more information you give the more that you get back

UK

Ajay
30-05-2005, 10:42 AM
In reply to UK search. The person in question is Sidney James Biggs aged 40 in 1881 and born in St. Albans. He married in 1863 and was living in St. Albans with his wife Susannah in 1871 and 1891. Sidney died in 1894 at the age of 54.

Geoffers
30-05-2005, 3:20 PM
I have just discovered on the 1881 census that a distant male relative was in "Her Majesty Convict Prison", Princetown. How can one found out what his crime was and the length of sentence?
Apart from suggestions already made, The National Archives (TNA) at Kew, as is often the case, is a good place to look. There is a research guide to convicts and prisoners.; it's quite lengthy but there are some useful sources there.
The guide is at:
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253
You might look at;
Criminal Registers and Returns in HO27
Calendar of Prisoners HO140
Habitual criminals registers MEPO6

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

uksearch
31-05-2005, 12:43 PM
In reply to UK search. The person in question is Sidney James Biggs aged 40 in 1881 and born in St. Albans. He married in 1863 and was living in St. Albans with his wife Susannah in 1871 and 1891. Sidney died in 1894 at the age of 54.I have very little knowledge of this area,but I would suggest that you find out where the Quarter Sessions that covered St Albans were held and search the court records for his conviction.I have not checked the Census returns,the ages of the children may give an indication when he was convicted.Of course he may have only been in gaol for a short period.

UK

Ken Boyce
31-05-2005, 8:36 PM
I think they took place at St Albans if not then try Hertford

Regards