PDA

View Full Version : CLEUGH BROWN South Shields Mariner b1842

Richarg
28-05-2005, 8:37 AM
I am seeking clues/background which will help solve my PUZZLE

I have a BC for my G Grandfather William BROWN b 13August 1842
Father William Brown,Saville Street,Westoe, Master Mariner
Mother Mary Elizabeth CLEUGH.

I would like to know how it came to be that William married into a very religious non-conformist Welsh speaking family called GRIFFITHS from mid-Wales.They were farmers and preachers.

So far I have the following possible clues.
NEWELL family
BURNYEAT, DALZELL (and NICHOLSON) Cumberland, Liverpool SHIPS STORES
BOULTON of Furness, Lancashire and Whitehaven, Cumberland
BROWN ships engineers SUNDERLAND LIVERPOOL S.AMERICA

Any information gratefully appreciated,
Richard

Geoffers
28-05-2005, 9:28 AM
I am seeking clues/background which will help solve my PUZZLE - I have a BC for my G Grandfather William BROWN b 13August 1842
Father William Brown,Saville Street,Westoe, Master Mariner
Mother Mary Elizabeth CLEUGH.
I would like to know how it came to be that William married into a very religious non-conformist Welsh speaking family called GRIFFITHS from mid-Wales.They were farmers and preachers.
Sorry, I don't have any information for you; just a few thoughts which you may have considered and discarded, or had no success following:

1) Did the Brown family originate from mid-Wales too? Possibly your gt-gt-grandfather had a wanderlust and trotted off to sea? Census returns showing a place of birth may help.

2) Did the Griffiths family possibly expand their farming business and go into shipping (wool from the farm?) from the nearest port? Directories may help here.

3) Assuming that it was your gt-grandfather William who married the Griffiths lass, what was his occupation (marriage certificate)? Did this give him the opportunity to travel? For example, could he have been a clerk/accountant who travelled for his employer from a port in NE England, across to another port in S Wales? If he did this several times and stopped off on the way at the same place in mid-Wales, perhaps he met a pretty local lass who gave him the glad eye?

Geoffers