PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Of A Puzzle

exiled brummie
12-10-2010, 8:02 AM
I have just found 2 baptismal records on the Record Pilot for a distant cousin, and am confused.

The first is for Thomas Bengough, son of Thomas Bengough and Elizabeth, baptised 9 October 1829 at Aston Juxta Birmingham [I assume this means St Peter & St Paul].

The 2nd record is dated 19 Oct 1829 and at first sight would appear to be a transcription error. The puzzle is the church is given as St Martin's Birmingham and the recorded name is Thomas Post Bengough, son of Thomas Bengough and Elizabeth.

Any ideas? There may be a clue in that neither of Thomas's parents are to be found in any census returns, and in 1841 little Thomas was living with his maternal aunt and uncle.

Peter Goodey
12-10-2010, 8:33 AM
I would say you need to look at the parish registers. I don't think you should try and draw any conclusions from an index.

geneius
12-10-2010, 3:41 PM
Is one the Parish Register ( PR) record entry ( i.e the origianl source) the other the Bishop's Transcript (BT) which is a transcribed copy of the original information and extracted for the Parish Register and forwaded to the Bishops' office annually!

Jeuel
12-10-2010, 7:24 PM
I think this is probably 2 versions of the same event - especially as the date in one is 9 and in the other 19. Probably someone was unable to read the date or perhaps put both possibilities. You really do need to see the original image.

Kerrywood
12-10-2010, 7:37 PM
I think this is probably 2 versions of the same event - especially as the date in one is 9 and in the other 19.

I think not. The film numbers indicate they are different parishes and different registers.

Peter Goodey
12-10-2010, 9:30 PM
It is quite possible that there really were two baptisms. You need to check the actual registers (a) to confirm or deny this and (b) to work out what was going on. An index is simply not enough.