PDA

View Full Version : London 1853 directory

Aragina
27-05-2005, 2:03 AM
I really want to thank Archive CD Books (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D686&supplier=&breadcrumb=Directories%3ALondon:Archive+CD+Books+L td)for this invaluable book. It lead me to a different address in Westminster where my William Taylor was in 1851 and from there led me back to Herefordshire where his family was and eventually found his elusive father John. I really couldn't have done it without that book. Thank you again for solving a family puzzle I have been stuck with for over 12 years.

Regards

Jenny

janroyal
02-06-2005, 2:22 AM
I, too, have an elusive ggg grandfather and have been trying to find his birthplace for 10 years now. How did this directory point you in the right direction? regards, Jan

Aragina
02-06-2005, 2:51 AM
I, too, have an elusive ggg grandfather and have been trying to find his birthplace for 10 years now. How did this directory point you in the right direction? regards, Jan

It pointed me to a different address than the one I believed he was living at, , I know where they were in 1871 after he married and had his first child, but I dint know where he was before that, and there are too many Willaim Taylors son of John in the london area.

The full story goes like this

William was in Vigo st Westminster in 1871 Cheesemonger born in St james Westminster. he wasnt there in 1861. The 1853 directory showed him in Little Pulteney Street westminster as a Cheesmonger. He was at this address in 1851 and 1861. In 1851/61 also was shown a brother John Born Hereforshire.

John was born Monkland Herfordshire 1828. (Parish record). found at St pancras married in 1871 with a niece Annie M. Traced annie M in 1861 to Stretford Hertfrodshire her father was James brother of William also born in Monkland. His birth (parish record) had a different mother to John and William. Went to the 1851 and found that james was with his father John and mother and in Docklaw herefordshire.

I cant look at the census for 1841 Littel pulteney Street Westminster as it ismissing so hoping to find whe whole family in herfordshire in 1841 around the Monkland area.

If it hadnt been for the 1853 directory, I could have been going around in cirlces for years trying to find the right William Taylor.

Very short versionof what actually happened but I hope you get the ghist!
regards

Jenny