PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Ellen Hurst 1876

chuckgaish
26-05-2005, 8:23 AM
Hi, Sarah Ellen Hurst 1876 gave place of birth as Sale Lancashire so have spent ages not finding Sale.
Now I have found a Sarah Ellen Hurst with her Grandparents Robert Hurst age 75 and Ann age 41 (1881 Census) both born Chesterfield Derby in 1881 living St Lukes district Manchester, Sarah shown born Sale Cheshire.
Does anyone have anything to help with confirming this as my Sarah, is Sale near Lancashire? or are there other Sale's.
Sarah married George Edward Whitaker in 1900 living in Jarrow Tyne Wear.
Chuck

Trish
26-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi, Sarah Ellen Hurst 1876 gave place of birth as Sale Lancashire so have spent ages not finding Sale.
Now I have found a Sarah Ellen Hurst with her Grandparents Robert Hurst age 75 and Ann age 41 (1881 Census) both born Chesterfield Derby in 1881 living St Lukes district Manchester, Sarah shown born Sale Cheshire.
Does anyone have anything to help with confirming this as my Sarah, is Sale near Lancashire? or are there other Sale's.
Sarah married George Edward Whitaker in 1900 living in Jarrow Tyne Wear.
ChuckApparently, there are a few Sales, Chuck, especially in the form of Sale Fell, Sale Farm, Sale Green, etc. One Sale is in Greater Manchester. Check out www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk) and plug "Sale" into the search box to see all the possibilities.

Trish

chuckgaish
26-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks Trish.

uksearch
26-05-2005, 1:09 PM
Part of Sale boarders the River Mersey which used to be the traditional boarder between Lancashire and Cheshire.

UK

chuckgaish
26-05-2005, 3:00 PM
Hi Thanks for all the help I now may have her Altrincham birth Dec qtr 1875 County of Cheshire and now I know it bordered Lancs and Sale is nearby ie part of registration district of Altrincham I think it all comes together especially as I now have a Sarah Hurst in Sale Cheshire with her Grandfather Robert.Robert is with his family in 1871 recorded as Herst in Chorlton on Medlock.
If anyone has any more all help appreciated.
Chuck.

Trish
27-05-2005, 2:34 AM
Hi Thanks for all the help I now may have her Altrincham birth Dec qtr 1875 County of Cheshire and now I know it bordered Lancs and Sale is nearby ie part of registration district of Altrincham I think it all comes together especially as I now have a Sarah Hurst in Sale Cheshire with her Grandfather Robert.Robert is with his family in 1871 recorded as Herst in Chorlton on Medlock.
If anyone has any more all help appreciated.
Chuck. Chuck, I just looked for your Robert and Ann HURST/HERST in the 1861 census. Have you found them there?

I do see a household for Robert, a blacksmith, born about 1808 and wife, Mary A., born about 1812 with a daughter, Ann, a cotton weaver, born about 1842 and a son, Abraham, and one other daughter, Mary [listed as "a cripple"]. Robert and Ann were both born in Chesterfield. [Source info: RG9/2957; Folio: 27; Page 49.]

So, is the relationship between Robert and Ann as stated in the 1881 census [husband and wife] an error and is Ann really Robert's daughter, not his wife? Could Ann be Sarah's mother?

Trish

chuckgaish
27-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Trish, Yes I have now seen it and I also think Ann is probably Roberts daughter and that Sarah was her daughter. I am going to send for marriage and birth cert ( after I have moved home) and hopefully that will sort it all out I will post answer here when done for interests sake.
Again Thanks for help.