PDA

View Full Version : How old is an Ensign?

k0065126
25-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Can anyone tell me at what age someone could join the army as an ensign in the early 1800s?

I believe that 12 year olds could join the navy as a midshipman around the time of Napoleon but do not know if the same applied to the army.

Many thanks,

Viv

Geoffers
26-05-2005, 8:58 AM
Can anyone tell me at what age someone could join the army as an ensign in the early 1800s?I believe that 12 year olds could join the navy as a midshipman around the time of Napoleon but do not know if the same applied to the army.From Richard Holmes' book, 'Redcoat - The British Solider in the age of horse and musket'. Publ. Harper Collins 2001. ISBN 0 00 257097 1:

(page 158)
"The commissioning of children had begun in the reign of Charles II..........In 1711 it was ordered that commissions were not to be given to persons under 16, although there were frequent breaches of the rule. Lord George Lennox, second son of the Duke of Richmond, became an ensign in 1751 at the age of thirteen and was lieutenant colonel commanding the 33rd Foot only seven years later at the age of twenty. The Duke of York, Commander-in-Chief, tightened things up further, insisting on the minimum age of 16.........."

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire