PDA

View Full Version : ROWLAND of Eglwysilan - Scavenger Hunt

olliecat
27-09-2010, 5:53 PM
Anyone up for a scavenger hunt? I just received a copy of a marriage between Elizabeth ROWLAND and Edmund William in 1811 at Eglwysilan. One of the witnesses is John ROWLAND.

Elizabeth ROWLAND was born in Eglwysilan around 1792. Ignoring patronymics naming for the moment, there is a christening for an Elizabeth Rowland in 1792. Parents are William and Jane Rowland.

Looking on FreeREG, it looks like they had the following children

William in 1778
Mary in 1779
John in 1785
Sarah in 1788
Elizabeth in 1792
Evan in 1797

There are some possible marriages for the children in Eglwysilan. Just to make it difficult there are naturally a number of Rowland families in the area.
Some of the children may have made it into the census and I was wondering if anyone was interested in scavenging for information on these Rowlands - marriage, death, census or anything.

P.S. Elizabeth Rowland and her husband Edmund William ended up living in Pentyrch. I have her in the census and I believe she may have died around 1864 (not positive on this.)

Am I being cheeky? :balloon:

Mutley
27-09-2010, 7:34 PM
Possible entry in 1871 for Evan but birth is 1803, mind you as his wife Letisha was born in about 1829, maybe he told a porky.

Daniel Edwards is his wife's son b. 1860. Thomas Rowland is their son born 1869. All born and living in Eglwysilan.
(TNA Copyright) RG10/5375 F/88 P/11

olliecat
27-09-2010, 8:33 PM
Cheers Mutley

This could be their marriage.

Dec 1861 Cardiff 11a 390
EDWARDS Letitia
ROWLAND Evan

Will have to look for him in earlier census and also check FreeREG to see how many other Evans were born in Eglwysilan. I hope there's just one. Hmm!

olliecat
27-09-2010, 8:40 PM
also check FreeREG to see how many other Evans were born in Eglwysilan. I hope there's just one. Hmm!

Darnitt - why did I open my mouth!!!

There is a christening for an Evan ROWLAND on 25 Sep 1808 in Eglwysilan. Parents Thomas and Catherine. I think it's probably him. :pinch:

Mutley
27-09-2010, 8:58 PM
Does not sound like yours then.
There are some baptisms for Saint Martin, Eglwysilan on the IGI Pilot Site but none for the name Rowland.

There is another Evan Rowland born 1808 but not in Eglwysilan. I don't know Wales at all so I am not at all sure about any of the nearby local villages.

Sorry, not a lot of help today. :(

olliecat
27-09-2010, 9:14 PM
Mutley - you have helped. You always do.

First, it's always helpful to eliminate
More importanty - help from others is encouraging. I didn't even want to start researching the Rowlands this morning. The mere thought gave me a headache. I sometimes get so bogged down with all the possibilites I can't even start with the research.

You say you don't know Wales that well but you found a good candidate almost immediately. For future reference - in the early decades the registration district for Eglwysilan was Cardiff; then after 1863 it changed to Pontypridd.

So one Evan Rowland possibly eliminated. So thank you. :yes:

Mutley
27-09-2010, 9:53 PM
Thank you, that is kind.
So we also eliminate LLANTRISANT? that is where the other Evan was baptised in 1808. Lots of them there.....

So difficult when we are in the 1700s :(

olliecat
27-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Looking at the 1851 census there is an Evan Rowland born abt 1809 in Llantrisant - farmer of 100 acres.

Probably not mine. First he's too rich. :D Secondly, someone born in Eglwysilan is unlikely to say Llantrisant. I am wondering now if my Evan died. Will have a look at the burials on FMP.

Mutley - FreeReg seem to have a better coverage of baptisms and marriages for Eglwysilan compared to family search.

Mutley
27-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I am ashamed to say I have never actually used FreeReg.
Maybe you have taught the old dog a new trick. I shall have to take a wander there tomorrow. :smile5:

With so many members now hunting in the 1700s, it might well be worth it.

olliecat
27-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Go for it Mutley! It's a good site. I found most of my Colwinstone baptism/marriages on there. Not that that's very relevant to you I'm sure. :D My only complaint is that it cannot really be used if one is searching for patronymic names. But it is free, so who am I to complain.

Anyway, after being energised into looking for Evan Rowland I decided to try and sort them out.

Evan Rowland born abt 1808 in Eglwysilan. Possible parents Thomas and Catherine. May have married Letisha Edwards in 1861. He is in the 1841 to 1891 census in Eglwysilan.

Evan Rowland born abt 1808 in Llantrisant. Farmer. From FreeReg, may have married a Mary David in 1833 in Llantrisant. (Cant’ be sure of this.) He is in the 1841 to 1881 census in Llantristant.

From FreeReg, another Evan Rowland married a Margaret Morgan in 1828 at Llansamlet. This is near Swansea and I cannot find this Evan in the census. He doesn’t feel like my Evan somehow!

My Evan Rowland, born abt 1797 - no idea what happened to him. Doesn't appear to be in the census. Perhaps he died but I couldn’t find a burial on FMP.

So, I think I’ll give Evan a rest for now and look for some of the other children. Maybe look for some marriages for the girls. When I get my energy back up that is.

As an exercise for you Mutley - see if you can find any of the girl's marriages in Eglwysilan on FreeREG. Now I am being CHEEKY! :yes::yes:

Mutley
28-09-2010, 7:07 PM
Good Evening Cheeky, :smile5:

Well according to my trusty Parloc, Parishes within a five mile radius of Eglwysilan
Bedwas - 3.3
Bedwellty - 3.8
Caerphilly - 5.0
Gelligaer - 1.8
Llanfabon - 3.2
Machen - 4.9
Mynyddislwyn - 2.5
Penmaen - 2.6

Penmaen has a marriage of William Rowland to Maria Morris on 26 Jan 1820. There are 49 Rowland marriages in Glamorgan 1820 +/- 5. The one for William was the first, then I gave up because you have to click on each one to see the bride's name and where they came from! :(

olliecat
28-09-2010, 8:03 PM
There are 49 Rowland marriages in Glamorgan 1820 +/- 5.
Blimey, how did you get 49? Is that without specifying a first name?

I gave up because you have to click on each one to see the bride's name
Aaaw! spoilsport!! :D

This is Wales and to my eternal annoyance folks even named their pets William, Mary, John etc. so I am usually forced to stick a first name in – unless I am looking for baptisms in a specific parish. Not that I want you to go and click on 49 links for me Mutley, you have helped enough already. :D

Yes! It is a pity that the search engine isn’t more sophisticated. It can be also be painful looking for baptisms since you cannot specify parent’s names. It’s bearable if you know the exact parish and coverage of certain Welsh parishes is excellent.

Anyway, you are a lot more ambitious then I. Due to the limitations of the search engine, I started with the girls and selected Eglwysilan as the parish, (hoping they would marry near home.)

I did find this earlier…

Marriage of Mary Rowland to Jacob Williams on 21 Aug 1803 at Eglwysilan.

Mary was born about 1779 so if this is her marriage she would be 24, which is reasonable. Thank god she married a Jacob and not a John or something. Wondering if Mary and Jacob are in the census but my Internet has been up and down for the past hour or so, thus I’ll look a bit later. Hrrmph!!

Mutley
28-09-2010, 8:23 PM
There are more than one very old Marys but sadly, none with a Jacob that I can see.

olliecat
28-09-2010, 8:30 PM
Have a look at this Jacob Williams in Eglwysilan - see what you think. Have they got the age of Mary correct?

Class: HO107; Piece 1414; Book: 4; Folio: 12; Page:

Mutley
28-09-2010, 8:47 PM
Sorry, Is that 1841 or 1851?

While trying to find it I passed this in 1851 in Llanfabon

Thomas Harnes 72
Catharine Harnes 70
Elizabeth Powell 23
Thomas Rowland 20
Jacob Williams 14
Ann Williams 16

Jacob and Thomas were servants. A possible connection?
HO107/2457 F116 P10 (Copyright TNA)

olliecat
28-09-2010, 8:55 PM
Sorry, Is that 1841 or 1851?
Pardon me - rushing - trying to keep ahead of the Internet going up and down - DNS problems.

The 1841 census

Class: HO107; Piece 1414; Book: 4; Folio: 12; Page: 17;
Jacob Williams in Eglwysilan age 60.

I will have a look at the one you found.

Mutley
28-09-2010, 9:17 PM
I only needed to look down two more and there they were!!

I would definitely say they have transcribed it wrong. She is out of order for a six year old.
Though it is very faint if you magnify it, you can clearly see the '0' following the 6. That makes her 60, ages were rounded down by 5 years so could easily have been born 1779.

Looks like they are yours. :yes:

olliecat
28-09-2010, 9:35 PM
That makes her 60, ages were rounded down by 5 years so could easily have been born 1779.
Thanks for looking. So glad you think she's 60. Have I found another ROWLAND at last? :clap:
There is also a possible death for Jacob.

DEC QTR 1847 Williams Jacob Cardiff 26 259

Mary Williams may be in the 1851 census - but I have to evaluate it properly (there are a couple of other Mary's of the same age in Eglwysilan too.)
1851; Class: HO107; Piece: 2454; Folio: 66; Page: 16

On FreeREG there are these baptisms. Could be their children.

Baptisms at St Ilan, Eglwysilan.

Thomas on 07 May 1808. Parents Jacob and Mary William
Daniel on 28 Apr 1810. Parents Jacob and Mary William
Jemima on 12 Mar 1815. (2 yrs old). Parents Job and Mary William. Job’s occupation: lab. Abode: GARNLWYD C'PHILLY MT
William on 12 Mar 1815. (5 months old). Parents Job and Mary William. Job’s occupation: lab. Abode: GARNLWYD C'PHILLY MT

I think I'll assess it all tomorrow. When researching my Welsh lot I tend to need LOTS of breaks.

Thanks for your help and patience Mutley, I'll impose on you no longer - well at least for tonight. :D

Mutley
28-09-2010, 9:58 PM
OK, Good Luck.

Now I passed a Jemima (spelt wrongly) somewhere on the search? .... Ah, yes, the children of Jacob and Mary on the 1841. :smile5)

Getting closer...

Night