PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth 1871 census transcriptions

k0065126
24-05-2005, 10:45 PM
FreeBMD is quite well known and many people will have heard of it's sister site FreeCEN, which aims to provide transcriptions of the 1841 to 1871 and 1891 censuses free of charge.

This is a three stage process as all transcriptions are checked by a second person and then any queries are resolved by a validator before the files are loaded onto the database, so ensuring a high accuracy which commercial organisations could not afford to achieve. The 1871 project is just starting so volunteers will be most welcome.

If anyone has some free time and would like to contribute to the project by assisting with transcribing the 1871 census please contact me at Mon1871 at pyner.org.uk or through the FreeCEN website by clicking on 'Transcriptions', then 'Wales Status Web Page' and looking at the Monmouth section.

Census pieces are provided on CD and help will be given, any software required will be provided by the project free of charge.

Even if you do not have the time to contribute to the project please use it, if it helps your research, and also FreeBMD for Births, Marriages and Deaths, (and FreeREG when that goes live).

Viv Pyner
Monmouth 1871 co-ordinator

Frank W
25-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Sorry I can't volunteer for this one (already committed on other FreeCEN Pieces) but I'm curious to know what source material you will work from, as the ACDB project for MON 1871 is not yet published or promised.
Regards........Frank W

k0065126
25-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Frank,

We are using CDs supplied by the LDS.

Happy transcribing.

Viv

Frank W
25-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that , Viv. Very interesting.
And I'll wish you and your volunteers success in their efforts also.

Regards.....Frank W

indigo
05-06-2005, 2:48 AM
I live in Canada...is there any way I can help out with this? I am most appreciative of the help I get online here, and would like to give something 'back'....I don't have a huge amount of time to spare, but would certainly welcome some information back as to how I can help.
Thanks
Indigo