PDA

View Full Version : access to probate calendar

sunnycrest
23-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Can I get access to probate calendars on ancestry.co.uk sub? In the meantime, could someone kindly do a lookup for me?

Mildred Alwyn (spinster) born 1900 died 1968 , I need to find out if or who were mentioned as beneficiaries as I am convinced there were more children born after her, so she might have had nieces or nephews, but cannot find any evidence! Or maybe her mother's might show other children inheriting - she was Edith Beatrice Alywn, died 1940.

Thanks
Debby

Peter Goodey
23-09-2010, 10:41 AM
The version of the probate calendar on Ancestry is incomplete and there is nothing after 1941. I can't see an Edith Beatrice Alywn or Alwyn

Kerrywood
23-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I need to find out if or who were mentioned as beneficiaries
The probate calendar doesn't necessarily list beneficiaries. It names the executor, or the person to whom letters of administration were granted.

To find the names of the beneficiaries you will probably need to purchase the will. This page (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm) explains how to do that.

AdeleE
23-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Is this Mildred Alwyn the daughter of Luis & Edith Beatrice Alwyn? I am unable to find a birth for her, and the 1901 census listing quoted by Kerrywood in an earlier thread:

1901 census (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)
RG13/438 folio 121 page 32
3 West Dulwich Mansions, Lambeth, London
Louis Alwyn Head M 39 Electrical Engineer born Wales Merioneth
Edith B Alwyn Wife M 31 born London Notting Hill
Winifred B Alwyn Daur S 6 born London Bedford Pk

does not show a daughter born 1900.

sunnycrest
23-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Adele

I did not find a birth listed for her either, but she could have been born in 1901 (after census), just supposed her birth date would have been around then, from age given on death index!
Only Winifred is mentioned on 1901 census (born 1894).
On probate calendar for Luis Alwyn (died 1930) it lists Mildred Louise Lorant spinster, not Mildred Louise Alwyn - unless she was M.L.L. Alwyn? But death index states Mildred L. Alwyn, so must be the same person.

AdeleE
23-09-2010, 11:50 AM
The only spinster named Mildred Louise Lorant that I can find is the daughter of Louis Miles Lorant and Mildred Jezard, born 30 Jul 1892. As Luis Alwyn's wife was still alive in 1930, it begs the question as to why Mildred was named as his executor.

Also, a search of the 1911 UK census for Edith Beatrice Alwyn should assist you in determining if there were any further children of the marriage, as the enumeration for Edith would indicate how many children she has given birth to.

sunnycrest
23-09-2010, 5:03 PM
Where can I access 1911 census, I don't see it on ancestry.co.uk yet?

Well now the mystery deepens as when I have checked London telephone directories after 1930, it lists "Mrs M.L. Alwyn" as living at 2 Hendale Ave. Hendon, Middlesex, which is the address where Luis Alwyn was living when he died, and it has Mrs E.B.Alwyn at another address??? Why would the probate calendar say - "to Mildred Louise Lorant, spinster, 5726 pounds? if she was neither his daughter or wife?
Could she perhaps have been a "bit on the side" and he changed his will? (This is a man after all that changed his name for no reason?) How am I ever going to solve this one??

Kerrywood
23-09-2010, 5:19 PM
Where can I access 1911 census, I don't see it on ancestry.co.uk yet?
It isn't available via Ancestry. Entering "1911 UK Census" into a search engine will produce the paysite.

sunnycrest
23-09-2010, 5:45 PM
Thanks I had a look, but will have to wait for monthend to access paysite!! Have seen that Edith and daughter Winifred Alwyn were at Cheltenham at 1911 census, but can't see whether they were actually living there or just visiting.

You answered one of my previous stumbling blocks on Luis Alwyn (Davies). Please have a look at my question earlier in this thread regarding Mildred Louise Lorant being mentioned on the probate calendar for Luis. The plot thickens!!

Thanks
Debby

AdeleE
23-09-2010, 5:48 PM
Do you have her 1968 death certificate?

The index indicates that probate was granted to Mildred Louise Lorant, but does not say that she was a beneficiary.

Also, I noticed that there are two Alwyn births in the 1920's with a mother's maiden name of Lorant. I won't post the details as the two persons may still be living.

sunnycrest
24-09-2010, 7:20 AM
Well that's just confirms my suspicions even more that Luis Alwyn (Davies) was involved with Mildred L.Lorant!! She would have been the same age as his daughter Winifred. If I search on ancestry.co.uk, will I be able to see those births in the 1920's? Would love to find someone that had known Luis !!

Debby

Peter Goodey
24-09-2010, 7:27 AM
Debby

You don't need to speculate. You need to get a copy of the will and order at least one of those birth certificates.

sunnycrest
24-09-2010, 9:58 AM
Thanks Peter, bit easier said than done! My online certificate shopping list seems to be growing by the minute!! A bit costly doing from outside UK...

Chipp'n'Dale
24-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks Peter, bit easier said than done! My online certificate shopping list seems to be growing by the minute!! A bit costly doing from outside UK...
But certs cost the same from anywhere in the world - £9.25 !