PDA

View Full Version : Australian Birth Certs

valg
21-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I am regularly ordering birth certs from the UK but as most of my research is done over there I very seldom have cause to order an Australian birth cert but today recieved my husband's grans birth certfrom 1896 and it contains a wealth of info for researchers.
Mothers maiden name-age-place of birth
fathers name-age- occupation and place of birth
Parents marriage date and place of marriage
All older siblings names and ages
What a pity English certs don't contain so much info!

spison
21-09-2010, 8:18 PM
If it's possible, our death certificates are even better as they contain almost all the above information plus, for the early ones, the length of time living in Australia - if the informant knows it.

Jane

Waitabit
21-09-2010, 9:57 PM
Except in Sth.Australia.

valg
21-09-2010, 10:02 PM
If it's possible, our death certificates are even better as they contain almost all the above information plus, for the early ones, the length of time living in Australia - if the informant knows it.

Jane

Yes Jane I have seen a few of them and they have great info to, can't speak for all Australian states but have Victorian, NSW and Qld ones.

valg
21-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Except in Sth.Australia.

They don't have that info in S.A.???

Waitabit
21-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Not on any of mine, early ones. I have of Marriages & Deaths all sparse on info.

My own birth cert. after 1940 does have;
Date,where of birth, name if any.
Name, age, birth-place of Parents.. Their year marriage no. of previous issue, living..deceased.
Rank or profession of Father
Sig, description & residence of informant. when birth registered & sig. of Registrar & when entered into District Registry Office.reg +book no. & page no.

spison
21-09-2010, 10:42 PM
What a disappointment.
Jane