PDA

View Full Version : 1861: What's this job?

robinadexter
24-05-2005, 6:52 AM
I have finally completed the set of census finds for my multi-named great grandfather, Nathaniel ROZIER/ROZERRO/ROSERO by tracking him down in the 1861 census, where he turns up as ROZER, but now I cannot decipher what it is he does for a living at this time!
RG9/1094 108 p.31 line 4: Nathaniel ROZER (24) is a boarder in Castle Gate Street, Harwich and his job looks like 'stone clamel'. There is another guy with the same job 4 more lines down (William Elliot).
'Stone' could be 'shore'. The top line has a 'xxxxx dredgerman' and the first word is the same as in Nathaniel's job. I have found Nathaniel's brother, David, on p.20 and he is a xxxxx dredgerman too. I thought that that was 'shore dredgerman', but now I am not so sure (no pun intended!). If it is 'stone', what IS a stone dredgerman?
As to the second word in Nathaniel's job, I am stumped. If it actually is 'clamel', what the heck IS that? If not, what word - and job - is it? Any ideas, please?
Thanks.
Robina Dexter

Guy Etchells
24-05-2005, 7:41 AM
There are many types of dregermen but they all do a similar type of job ranging from operating a boat mounted crane with a bucket scooping mud stones etc. from rivers & canals, to a coal dredgerman who recovers coal dropped into the water whilst loading at staithes. The coal dredgerman would operate from a rowing boat using a perforated scoop, they where also usually employed part time sweeping the coal & coal dust into heaps on the quay.

A gravel dredger often works a machine with a line or belt of buckets powered by a stem engine.

A stone dredger at a quarry sorts the inferior stone from the bettemessage=There are mainy types of dregermen but they all do a similar type of job ranging from operating a boat mounted crane with a bucket scooping mud stones etc. from rivers & canals, to a coal dredgerman who recovers coal dropped into the water whilst loading at staithes. The coal dredgerman would operate from a rowing boat using a perforated scoop, they where also usually employed part time sweeping the coal & coal dust into heaps on the quay.

A gravel dredger often works a machine with a line or belt of buckets powered by a stem engine.

A stone dredger at a quarry sorts the inferior stone from the better.
Cheers
Guy

LynA
24-05-2005, 7:50 AM
... his job looks like 'stone clamel'. As to the second word in Nathaniel's job, I am stumped. If it actually is 'clamel', what the heck IS that? If not, what word - and job - is it? Any ideas, please?
Thanks.
Robina DexterHello Robina,
I agree that the first word looks like stone. By comparing individual letters with other words on the page I think the second word could be 'cromer' (or perhaps 'cramer')
C (as in John Chapman on same page)
r (as in dredgerman)
o (as in widow)
m (as in fisherman)
e (as in laborer)
r (as in laborer)
Unfortunately I've never heard of that occupation before so I may be completely wrong :confused:
I hope someone else has some more ideas.

Regards,
Lynda

ChristineR
28-05-2005, 2:45 PM
I had the same problem - haven't got the details to hand at the moment, but I settled on Stone Cleaner :) until something more likely came along. Perhaps he cleaned headstones in a graveyard :D

And Robina, on Tuesday, I will get my first look at the later Harwich film which arrived last week. I have Nathaniel on my list. And surely this occupation will crop up somewhere in the PRs, written so there is no doubt.

Christine

robinadexter
30-05-2005, 5:07 PM
Thanks to those who offered all the suggestions and info. All good stuff.
Examining my copy again, with the inevitable magnifier, the proverbial fine-toothed comb and a fascinated friend, I will now add the possiblity of 'cramer' - for 'crammer'. Cramming once had the meaning of breaking and it is possible that Nathaniel who, in the previous census was a servant in a workhouse, simply had to break stones for a living. Perhaps he was in the flint/building industry?
Fortunately for me, by 1871 he is a mate on an Essex barge and by 1881 and onwards he was a coal carter. Mind you, even this has it problems: a fellow researcher has him on the edge of her family tree where his coal carting became cod-cutting!
When you add the perils of individualistic spellings, archaic hand writing, poor quality of some documents (or of their reproduction) to mistakes in hearing, transcribing and understanding at every stage, it is amazing that any of us have any idea at all about our ancestors.
But don't it all just add to the fun!!

davedobbin
24-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I agree that the first word looks like stone. By comparing individual letters with other words on the page I think the second word could be 'cromer' (or perhaps 'cramer')

I believe a crome is a kind of rake. Imagine a large garden fork with the tines bent at right angles to the handle, and imagine a straight pole-like handle like a rake, perhaps 8 - 12 feet long.

Cromes (also known as sewage rakes) are used, amongst other things, for lifting items out of water (or similar matter). In this case, he might be someone whose job is to lift stones either as a form of quarrying from the sea/river bed or in order to improve the flow of water to aid shipping or drainage.

DaveD

Geoffers
24-07-2005, 9:50 AM
I missed this thread the first time. Having just looked at the entry, I'd agree that the occupation reads, 'stone cromer'.

Geoffers

robinadexter
24-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Hallo Geoffers: Any idea what a 'cromer' IS? I thought it might be 'cramer' after all, meaning crammer = breaker. What do you think?
Robina

Geoffers
24-07-2005, 4:36 PM
Hallo Geoffers: Any idea what a 'cromer' IS? I thought it might be 'cramer' after all, meaning crammer = breaker. What do you think?
Robina
Although I have only ever seen reference to a crome in agricultural use (see other posts for description) - I could well imagine a similar implement might well be used in jobs associated with dredging and that a person using it could be desecribed as a cromer.

Geoffers

robinadexter
24-07-2005, 8:40 PM
Thanks Geoffers and Dave (sorry Dave, I was so surprised to see G's posting I missed yours until now). 'Cromer' it seems to be. It's nice to learn something new. Ta to you both.
Robina