PDA

View Full Version : Sims twin, Blaina

Kevin Garrad
14-09-2010, 7:05 AM
Dear all,

Because I am a twin myself, and I have twin daughters, my mother (now departed) has for years told the story that she was also a twin.
Apparently her sister did not survive past a few days.

Mother was Joyce Cicely Sims, born 3rd April 1931 in Blaina.
Father Sydney Llewellyn Sims, mother Cicely Minnie Bridger.

But I cannot find any other births that would match!

Does anyone have access to Blaina Parish Records, that they could look up for me?
Or find the elusive twin?

It's not essential to my family research - but I am just curious!

Kevin

Procat
14-09-2010, 8:33 AM
A search on Ancestry failed to find a second birth for the couple in 1931 - and they (Ancestry) claim the indexes are complete. Equally, I was unable to find a death in the indexes for the same district in 1931.

Ladkyis
14-09-2010, 8:45 AM
Do you have your mother's birth certificate? it was usual in England and Wales to put the time of birth on the birth certificates of twins so that could be a help. If the other baby was still-born then in 1931 it would have to be registered on the Still Births Register. This can be searched for you by the local register office but you first have to prove your relationship.
It would be worth the effort of writing to the local Register office if only to prove that it isn't true.
registrars at blaenau-gwent.gov.uk
(take out the word at and replace it with the symbol)

Kevin Garrad
14-09-2010, 8:54 AM
Procat,

I did all that myself! So I am left wondering if the story was true, or maybe (as Ladykis suggested) a still birth?

The last time mother contacted the registrar, for a duplicate birth certificate, the copy came back as "Sex - Male"!!
Hope they are more efficient now! ;-)

Procat
14-09-2010, 9:02 AM
Procat,

I did all that myself! So I am left wondering if the story was true, or maybe (as Ladykis suggested) a still birth?

At least we got the same result. :smile5:

Very possible it was a still birth and the story evolved slightly over time. If it was me I would be following up the suggestion made by Ladykis.

Peter Goodey
14-09-2010, 9:53 AM
Unfortunately only a parent or, if the parents are dead, a sibling can obtain a stillbirth certificate.

Kevin Garrad
14-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I was googling for still births information, and found the name of a lady who runs a stillbirths index.
This was on another forum. I'll only mention the name if asked nicely! Not A---y or G--s Re---d.

Not sure how up-to-date this information is.
I will contact her and, if succesful, will ask permission to post her name here.

Kerrywood
14-09-2010, 1:46 PM
I was googling for still births information, and found the name of a lady who runs a stillbirths index.
I understand this index is based on a collection of newspaper announcements. If so, I'm afraid it must represent a tiny proportion of the total number of stillbirths. :frown5:

Kevin Garrad
14-09-2010, 1:58 PM
I defer to your greater knowledge!! :wink:

Ladkyis
14-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I would still write to the local register office. Just to see exactly what the Superintendent Registrar in that area will allow.

Kevin Garrad
15-09-2010, 7:17 AM
I tried that!
Tredegar office replied. Have been referred to GRO.

Ladkyis
15-09-2010, 11:00 AM
so write and ask them, they can only say no.

Kevin Garrad
15-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Email already sent!