PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the BVRI

ruthrrr
23-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi

What sort of information would I find on the BVRI? For example in the case of marriages would it show the parents name or just the couple getting married?

I am thinking of buying the new edition, does anyone know if I could either buy it from any other outlet apart from the LDS, or whether I would be able to buy a copy at the Hyde Park Family History Centre?

Thanks

Ruth

Geoffers
23-05-2005, 1:42 PM
What sort of information would I find on the BVRI? For example in the case of marriages would it show the parents name or just the couple getting married? I am thinking of buying the new edition, does anyone know if I could either buy it from any other outlet apart from the LDS, or whether I would be able to buy a copy at the Hyde Park Family History Centre?

Prior to 1837 the only additional information given is if the bride or groom had been previously married. After then some, but not all, entries include parents' names and some, but not all, include age at marriage. It seems very muh pot luck as to what is included.

I bought my old copy from a supplier, as per those who advertise in genealogy magazines, I would presume that such companies would still do so.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
23-05-2005, 4:45 PM
"I am thinking of buying the new edition"

BVRI is a bit of a mixed bag of odds and ends really.

Have you checked the list of records by county and parish? You'll find it here :-

http://www.genoot.com/downloads/BVRI2/index.html

I imagine you'll want to be sure that it covers your areas before forking out.

By the way if you do want to buy it, don't order it online through the Mormon site. Phone the Birmimgham distribution centre if you can't find another outlet.

johnpritt
24-05-2005, 6:58 AM
Thanks very much for that link Peter: I think for my Cumberland links I might wait awhile.
According to the LDS site, the BVRI requires a specific reader, and in terms of minimum requirements, they only talk in windows terms. I use an Apple Mac. Does anyone know if the information is readable on a Mac?

Guy Etchells
24-05-2005, 7:46 AM
Only if you have the Mac version of the program Folio Views, the cutdown version supplied by the LDS is Windows only.
Having said that the cutdown version does run within the various Windows emulators available for Macs.
Cheers
Guy

johnpritt
24-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks Guy. I'll search for it. VirtualPC is not really an option at the moment for me since I have a fairly slow iBook with not very much hard disk space left. I keep telling myself I really must do something about it, but always find something else to spend my money on instead. Still, Christmas isn't too far away!