PDA

View Full Version : Moses Baker Blacksmith

Dolly
22-05-2005, 7:43 PM
I have the marriage of Ellen Baker aged 21 to George Dibble aged 20 married at Upton by banns 9th May 1842. Ellen names her father as Moses a blacksmith. In 1851 they are living in Milverton, George's birthplace, he is a tailor
In 1861 they are living in Bristol and Ellen gives her birthplace as Bicknoller.
1851 census Somerset I have found Moses BAKER, blacksmith living in Crowcombe born Stogumber, the eldest child at home is James born Bicknoller.

Can SKS look at the 1841census to see if Ellen is with this family? I am doing this tree for an elderly friend and would love to go as far as I can.
Also Milverton 1841 for George Dibble, single, a tailor born 1822 to George Dibble & Elizabeth.

birdlip
31-10-2007, 2:56 AM
I don't know if you're still looking for these;

H0107; 965; 8; 9; F22; P14
Crowcombe Village, Stogumber, Williton, Som

Moses Baker 45 Blacksmith
Hannah do 40
James do 15
John do 10
Elizabeth do 5
Moses do 3

All born in the county.

This could be Ellen in 1841;

H0107; 376; 1; 1; 19; P33
W?apping, Bedminster, Bristol, in the household of Samuel Taylor, merchant, and family;

Ellen Baker 19 F.S. y, and also;
Elizabeth Baker 25 F.S. y

...and George in 1841;

H0107; 951; 8; 2; 31; P22
Silver Street, Milverton, Som

George Dibble 55 Ag Lab
Elizabeth do 50
Mary do 20 Dressmaker
George do 20 Tailor
William do 15 Cabinet maker

all born in county.

regards birdlip

Dolly
31-10-2007, 8:48 AM
Thanks Birdlip

As in Birdlip Glos?

Dolly

birdlip
31-10-2007, 9:47 AM
Ah well...thats a long story. I've been long winded from way back, so click to another post now while you can!

No? Then, "Are you sitting comfortably? " (That dates me straight away, doesn't it?)

We live in NSW, Australia, but were both born, and grew up in the UK. Went to Uni and Teachers college there, (Bristol and Bath), married there, and our first child was born in the UK. We were living at Minchinhampton at the time, in Glos, I was teaching at Uley school.

Fast forward to 2005, time for early retirement to six acres of land in the beautiful Bega Valley on the Far South Coast of NSW. We've always loved the area, green rolling hills etc because it reminds us of 'home'... without the crowds!! According to our 35 yr old Readers Digest Atlas of the British Isles, Birdlip means, steep hill ( the lip part) inhabited by many birds, or words to that effect! So thats what we've called our place, though we haven't got around to putting the name on the gate yet. A bit of nostalgia really.

Well, you did ask!

So did you already have that census information? Your post was two years old, I wasn't sure.

regards birdlip

Dolly
31-10-2007, 1:21 PM
Re the census, yes as soon as Ancestry had all the censuses I got it. It was actually for a friend

Re: Birdlip it is in fact a very steep hill leading to a village of the same name, which is a couple of miles from where I live.

Dolly

Wobbley
05-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Marriage(s)
Groom: Moses BAKER
Bride: Hanah WILCOX: of Stogumber
Married on 9th NOV 1820
At Parish Bicknoller by banns

Groom: George Dibble: soj
Bride: Elizabeth Bezley
Married on 9th Apr 1817
At Parish Milverton

Regards
Brian

Dolly
05-11-2007, 8:43 AM
Thank you Brian.
it means that either this Moses was married before or hanah had a child before marriage there is a daughter, Sarah, b circa 1816 - Stogumber

Dolly

v.wells
05-11-2007, 3:23 PM
Brian

Did you get this info from parish books? I may be looking in the wrong place for my relative.

Vanessa

v.wells
05-11-2007, 3:29 PM
Dolly

My Sarah Baker was according to all censuses born in Clayhidon, Devon about 1904 (but could well be wrong). My Clayhidon marriage parish books don't show any Bakers. I have been unable to find her parents. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area as Clayhidon is somewhat close to Stogumber. Perhaps there is a connection there. What do you think?

Vanessa

Wobbley
06-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Very astute of you Dolly !

Marriage:
Goom: Moses BAKER
Bride: Sarah CRIDDLE
Married on 8th APR 1814
At Parish Stogumber
---------------------------------------------------------------
Burial: ? ?
Name: Sarah BAKER
Date 10th Oct 1819: Aged 27
Place: Stogumber, Blessed Virgin Mary (Anglican)
---------------------------------------------------------------
STOGUMBER Baptisms:
Mary Baker: Parents = Moses/Sarah: Blacksmith: Hill : Date 12/6/1814
Anne Baker: Parents = Moses/Sarah: Blacksmith: Town : Date 5/11/1815
Sarah Baker: Parents = Moses/Sarah: Blacksmith: Town : Date 20/7/1817
William Baker: Parents = Moses/Sarah: Blacksmith: Town : Date 4/4/1819

Brian

v.wells
06-11-2007, 2:30 AM
Sorry I meant 1804. My Sarah Baker married Samuel Stuart of Kilmington died Honiton 1870. I have ordered parish indexes and a baptism/birth index today. Hopefully that will shed some light on my brick wall!

Thanks for your try Brian

Vanessa

Dolly
06-11-2007, 9:19 AM
Thank you for all the info Brian

I assume you have a booklet or CD of Somerset parish records?

Dolly

Wobbley
06-11-2007, 9:21 PM
For Vanessa

Marriage:
Groom: Samuel Stuart: Bach. of Wellington.
Bride: Sarah Baker: Spins. Soj.
Married on 18th Mar 1835.
At Parish Wellington.

Brian

Wobbley
06-11-2007, 9:39 PM
BICKNOLLER Baptisms:

Eleanor Baker: Parents= Moses/Hannah: Chilcombe: Blacksmith: 24/12/1820
James Baker: Parents= Moses/Hannah: Of this parish: Blacksmith: 19/1/1823
Jane Baker: Parents= Moses/Hannah: Of this parish: Blacksmith: 15/1/1825
Moses Baker: Parents= Moses/Hannah: Bicknoller: Blacksmith: 6/1/1828
John Baker: Parents= Moses/Hannah: Bicknoller: Blacksmith: 6/2/1831

Brian

Dolly
06-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you Brian

I found the website, you must have searched for a long time

Thank you

Dolly

v.wells
07-11-2007, 3:58 AM
Wobbly

Where did you find this info on Samuel and Sarah and excuse my ignorance where is Wellington? On all the census' it states Kilmington. Have I really been going round in circles? I've been looking for years!

I meant that his birthplace was Kilmington. And I have just googled Wellington and found it! I could be onto something now, but where to go from here I've no clue. It will come to me. Thanks|hug|

Vanessa

Dolly
07-11-2007, 9:17 AM
Vanessa
This is a link to some Somerset register transcripts
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~pbtyc/PR_Index.html
And more
http://wsomparreg.mysite.orange.co.uk/

If you search for "village county UK Parish registers" you will find a lot of English village parish registers have been transcribed and put online. Substitute the place names for "village & county". You have to take the same care as with all transcriptions though and try to check against the original

Dolly

v.wells
07-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Thank You Dolly|bowdown|. I have discovered a whole new episode in my life searching out the Bakers/Stuart. My Devon transcript of marriages came be email this am and confirmed you are right and I have been looking in the wrong area. Now I am more than happy!

A big thank you to Wobbly for looking it up in the first place.|hug|

Vanessa

Wobbley
08-11-2007, 2:00 AM
Hi Vanessa

I have found Genuki very useful in the past:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Wellington/

Especially "Nearby places" (top right) to get your bearings

Brian

PS/
Obviously you can select any place name after "Genuki"