PDA

View Full Version : Spam / Junk Mail - Has yours disappeared ?

Rove
11-09-2010, 9:34 AM
I use Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail.

Normally between the three of them I used to receive a minimum of 80 bits of junk every day

Over the past seven days, I have not received one single piece of junk mail

Cannot believe my eyes. Is it the same with you ?

Kerrywood
11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Is it the same with you ?
No, quite the opposite in fact. I must be getting all yours. :biggrin:

MarkJ
11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
The usual amount of junk still coming through here (although it does get filtered out).

Ladkyis
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I am with one of the many Virgin varieties - caused by the various buy outs etc over the last ten years - and recently Virgin upgraded its mail server software. This meant that all their customers had to go to the webmail adn tweak stuff so that they could continue to download emails. It also meant that spam is now caught on the server. I have to still check the spam box on the website because the odd real message does get caught, but it does mean that I only get one or two spam messages per day instead of the 80 to 100 I was getting.
I like this very much, although I find that I do have to be careful. The tendency to assume that ALL spam has been caught is lurking. I just have to remember that the email from Paypal IS spam because it doesn't have my name on it just dear Paypal member.

Mutley
11-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Up until a couple of weeks ago I rarely received any but suddenly I have a full junk box. Most annoying.

I opened another hotmail account just to use if I am asked for my email address and I don't really want to give it. I called it a silly name. Before I had given it out to anyone at all, the junk folder had about 40 spams. Now where did they come from?

MarkJ
11-09-2010, 12:35 PM
The spammers - as well as collecting email addresses from various sources - will also use programs which automatically generate random addresses. So even if you haven't used it, the address will still get some spam.

busyglen
11-09-2010, 2:23 PM
I've only been getting an odd one or two for some time, but I always check, as occasionally an odd `good' one slips in there.

Having said that, I bet tomorrow the junk mail will be full! ;)

Glenys

v.wells
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I have gmail so don't get much at all. I usually delete them right away without opening them if they aren't addressed properly or if the subject line is "odd".

mikejee
12-09-2010, 12:15 AM
I am with aol, and their spam filters are very good, though this cannot be said for their search engine. However I also have an e-mail address at Cadburys, for whom i used to work before retirement, and for whom I have since occasionally done the odd job, This again used to have a good filter. however, since being taken over by Kraft, it recieves much rubbish, which is not filtered out. Obviously in corporate America they have a much greater market for enlarged penises and illegally obtained drugs, and are so thick that they respond to e-mails from missionaries who have taken their yorkie terrier to the depths of africa, and now find that it cannot stand the conditions (I do not joke, that is one i recieved)

Mary Young
13-09-2010, 4:04 PM
Gmail is great for blocking Spam (in the last month, only two reached my Inbox, 357 straight to the Spam Folder).
Even if you prefer to use another email client, it's worthwhile routing it through gmail first.