PDA

View Full Version : Sedgley Staffordshire - local newspaper 1787?

daniellet23
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I am looking for a trial for a convict who was convicted on 14 Mar 1787 for 7 years to Australia. He was Isaac Williams - alias Thomas Horeditch or William Allis. Isaac arrived out in Australia aboard the 3rd Fleet.
Can sks please let me know what paper the trial details would be in?
I have checked the Old Bailey online but no record of him there so I presume that it would have been around him home area!
Cheers
Danielle.

LittleSpark
07-09-2010, 7:56 PM
Hi Danielle,
Have asked at Dudley Archives today which covers Sedgley area - unfortunately their newspapers do not start until the 1840's - the member of Staff suggested maybe The Times newspaper which was a National paper at that time.(?)
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help

Sheila

Kerrywood
07-09-2010, 8:20 PM
I am looking for a trial for a convict who was convicted on 14 Mar 1787 for 7 years to Australia. He was Isaac Williams - alias Thomas Horeditch or William Allis. Isaac arrived out in Australia aboard the 3rd Fleet. ... I have checked the Old Bailey online but no record of him there so I presume that it would have been around him home area!
The transportation registers for the Third Fleet (HO 11/1, via Ancestry) show that he was tried at the Quarter Sessions held at Stafford.

Any records that survive should therefore be at the Staffordshire Record Office. They have some online indexes, as well as a Research Service for those without access. You could email them to see what records they have that might help you.

staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/sro (put www. in front)