PDA

View Full Version : 1871 - Getting desperate - can't find them

Peggy
22-05-2005, 6:45 AM
I hope sks can |help| I'm trying again to find some rellies in 1871. I've tried all the tricks I know to outwit the Ancestry transcribers, but I'm still getting nowhere.

John Farrell should be age 20. Born in Liverpool. In Birmingham in 1861. Parents dead; not in household of stepmother. Married 1873, in Edgbaston. Occupation machinist, address Edgbaston.

Ellen M(aria) Farrell was born Dec 1857 in Birmingham; there in 1861. Father dead; not in household of mother. Married 1875. Address Cromwell St. in Aston.

John C(ornelius) Simpson should be 50. Born in Evesham WOR. Found in Aston 1861 (RG9/2178, Folio 6, Page 5), B'ham 1881 (RG11/2982, Folio 34, Page 7.) Several other Simpsons missing. <sob> Ideas for bizarre variants appreciated.

Peggy

Geoffers
22-05-2005, 1:57 PM
I hope sks can |help| I'm trying again to find some rellies in 1871. I've tried all the tricks I know to outwit the Ancestry transcribers, but I'm still getting nowhere. John Farrell should be age 20. Born in Liverpool...Ideas for bizarre variants appreciated.
I have no idea how the Ancestry index works and if the index would bring up this variant anyway - but - have you tried O'Farrell?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Wirral
22-05-2005, 8:22 PM
Hi Peggy
Can't help with the Birmingham lot, but can you post the 1861 details for John Farrell, also his father's name & occupation from his marriage certificate? Also names of mother, step-parent & any other family members? Also religion if possible. There are lots of Farrell Catholic marriages in Liverpool which are not on the IGI, but may give a clue to where marriages or baptisms took place.

Jo Simpsons
22-05-2005, 9:35 PM
Have you tried searching using just 3 letters and *? Like Far* and possibly fan*? Miss out the birth place to give more options. Theres a John Farrett, 19, born Birmingham living in Aston his occupation is engine fitter?
RG10/3150 Folio 23 page 39
I found my Simpson transcribed as Timpson? I searched each page to find them but I knew they were in the small village. So wasn't so hard to find really. You can search each enumeration district description for street names if you know them.
Jo :)

Geoffers
22-05-2005, 9:43 PM
"I found my Simpson transcribed as Timpson?"

I've found Lowe transcribed as Sowe. Using reverse logic, presumably Simpson might possibly be transcribed as Lim(p)son?

Geoffers

Peggy
22-05-2005, 11:59 PM
|bowdown| |bowdown| |bowdown|

You are a marvelous bunch! :) And of course, I must also thank Rod for assembling you in one place. <G>

Jo, the drinks are on me. (When will you be in FL? <g>) I think you've found young John. The writer did cross his t's, albeit lazily on occasion. No sign of it here. I'd say Farrett is Farrell. Occupation is engine fitter, which was his deceased father's occupation. Wrong place of birth, but follows a string of dittos. If it makes sense for him to be "Machinist" in 1873, I think I can take this one to the bank. Now I must look for Ellen.

I haven't found John C yet, but I found Thomas Timpson. <g> He's alive! And, he has a nephew & nieces, with a new surname for me to search for!

Thanks,

Peggy

Peggy
23-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Geoffers,

No luck with O'Farrell. I'd tried Far* and started it with most of the alphabet, but, of course, it didn't turn up Farrett. I should have thought of crossed and uncrossed t's - - - seen that before with other names! I'll have a look for Limpson, once I've checked out more interesting-looking Timpson hits. :) If one could only count on something - - - name, age, place of birth - - - being right, it would make these searches for common names in a big fishpond easier. One of the transcriptions for my Simpsons shows everyone born in Southam. That's Evesham, which also turns up as Eastham.

Best,

Peggy

Peggy
23-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Hi Wirral,

Are you in Liverpool, or researching there? I found this connection only this month, when I found the Farrells in 1861 in Birmingham, showing John 10 born Liverpool. (The next child, 8, was born in Brum.) I have the 1851 index info from Liverpool. Piece number 2188/4 folio 514A. Haven't had a chance to get to the FHC yet to order.

Peter Farrell, 22, Coach Fitter, b. Ireland
Maria, 22, b. Newcastle on Tyne
Frances J, 1, b. Liverpool

Got the birth cert for Frances Jane, born 23 Nov 1849, 17 Hayton St., Toxteth Park. Father: Peter Farrell, Coach Fitter. Mother: Maria, formerly Death. (I have what I believe is Maria's death cert, 1856, in Brum, on order.)
Peter married my Sarah Carter (formerly Simpson) at St. Luke's, an "established" church, in 1857 in Brum. If he was Catholic, he was a lax one.

Thanks,

Peggy

Diane Grant-Salmon
23-05-2005, 8:43 AM
Hi Peggy,

I'm so pleased that you managed to find young John ...... hope you manage to also pin down John C.

When I've been searching for Honniball, using every variation of spellings, wild cards etc. the names they're listed under are unbelievable! The wierdest one was when I searched for Robt. using his birth year and birthplace of Somerset, I got quite a lot of results.

I started wading through the pages (trying to guess which page the H's were on) and I happened to land on the letter F. There he was ..... Robert FLONNIBALL. :(

Wirral
23-05-2005, 9:58 AM
Hi Peggy
Yes, I am on Merseyside (over the water on the Wirral, the Birkenhead side of the River Mersey). If your family do turn out to be Catholic, a useful site is:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hibernia/mar/mar.htm

Peggy
24-05-2005, 8:25 AM
Thanks, Wirral, that's a handy site. I had a look, but mine don't show up.

Diane, I didn't find young John, Jo did! I'd gone punchy from trying different searches, waiting for pages to load, squinting at bad writing, etc. I might never have found him.

I must say that Jo also opened a pretty can of worms by sending me in pursuit of Timpsons. I found my Thomas Simpson/Timpson and wife in 1871, with her nephew & nieces. A cousin and I put our heads together (so much more fun!) and learned her maiden name. We found the marriage in 1849 as an extracted record in the IGI. BUT . . . both of them are living with their respective parents, and shown as U, on the LDS 1851 disk. Wrong people? Big error in the IGI? The 1851 really says M, not U? Another explanation?

Glad you found Flonniball. I try to glance at the pages and pages of results for any name the same general shape. But if I get 30,000 hits . . . .

Peggy

Ann AW
27-05-2005, 2:00 PM
HI Peggy,

I eventually found my missing Colbourns in the 1861 census, they had been recorded by the enumerator as LABOURN all the other info was correct so I knew it was them, so it's not always the transcribers fault. It was only because my ggggrandfather was called Timothy, which was a relatively unusual name, and through sheer chance that I found them.
Good luck,
Ann