PDA

View Full Version : Promotions in L&SW

asherman
03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I seem to have come to a dead end and wondered if anyone can help. The National Railway Museum do not have any information and very little was found at Kew, none of which could be verified.

My ancestor seems to have joined the London and Sth Western railway between 1861 and 1867 which is the date of his marriage and he states he is a fireman. Between his dtrs baptism in Nov 1870 and the Census in April 1871 he became an engine driver L&SW. Early 1881 he somehow became disabled and could no longer be on the Engines. (I suspect this was a recent event close to the 1881 census as he gives no other description and originally 1881 census return gave ‘engine driver’ as his occupation before this was crossed out and ‘disabled’ added instead). I have checked to see if there were any accidents he was involved with, but could not find anything that matched the time scale.

On a daughters marriage cert in May 1889 and the 1891 census his occupation is listed as store keeper. In Nov 1895, according to a 2nd daughter’s marriage cert, Andrew was an 'Inspector SWR' but by Jan 1898, according to another daughter’s marriage cert, he was a timekeeper and kept this role until his death in Jan 1910.

Kew have 2 records that may relate to him (both have a register number of 2 which seems very low). One is July 1881 when someone of the same name at Nine Elms, is transferred from the Locomotive Dept to the Shops Dept (411/529 ) and the 2nd is in March 1895 he was transferred from the E & F dept to the Running Dept Register (RAIL 411/522). Both these records only had ticks in place of answers such as start of service date and age when entered service. Could the Running Dept Register related to the timekeepers post?

Do these promotions ring true and is there likely to be anywhere else other than Kew or NRM that would have records that could help. I have also tried the Railway Family History Society with no luck.

If anyone can help me with this I will be really grateful, otherwise I don't know where to go next.