PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Records for Apprentice Genealogists

Ken Boyce
21-05-2005, 7:02 AM
Being one of the last Indentured Apprentices in my particular vocation in the early 1950’s, (I still have my papers complete with seal) I have an interest in things apprenticed. Also I remember as a child being awed by my grandfather’s fancy late 19C apprenticeship papers as a Gold and Silver Apprentice Chaser in London. Sadly these papers like my memory of the details have long disappeared.

Burke's Peerage & Gentry's website has some interesting notes on the Apprenticeship Records.

As does the Devonshire Records Office.

This latter site also has information on Settlements and the lesser known Removal Orders and the Parish Apprenticeship Records.

Another ref that I have suggests that Apprenticeship records are a good source to look for an individual's age. It states that apprenticeships normally lasted until the individual was 21 years old, so subtracting the length of an apprenticeship from 21 gives the age at which the apprentice was bound. This may be an over generalization.

There are a number of agencies that have produced reasonable cost indexes to portions of the records These may well complement the new CDs (Google for Apprenticeship – Poor Law – Settlements – Index )

Fathers' Day is rapidly approaching and I'm hinting like crazy that there are some interesting new CDs from Archive CD Books

Regards

sandiep
21-05-2005, 7:44 PM
Hi Ken,

Thought I had got caught in a timeloop, Just been watching Dr Who!!

I found it interesting as we have one of my hubbies aunts Apprentice records she was 15 in May 1915 and hers was for 5 years with the Imeprial Tobbacco company.at the York road factory in London to learn Cigar making.

they even had their wages set ot ist year 5 shillings however not to be paid if not fully earned!!
2nd year 6d for every 100 which during such week she may make to the satisfaction of the managers
3rd year 8d per 100 and as above
4th year 10d per 100 and as above or as they say aforesaid
5th year one shilling for every 100 cigars as aforesaid

not sure what happened if the manager didnt like you?

all very strict rules & regulations

sandie

Ken Boyce
21-05-2005, 7:54 PM
Funny I was mulling over posting the fact that I've not come across a discussion on female apprenticeships and Lo one pops up!

Are they common?

Regards

Geoffers
21-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Funny I was mulling over posting the fact that I've not come across a discussion on female apprenticeships and Lo one pops up!
Are they common?
There are a fair few actually, mostly mantuamakers.

Geoffers

sandiep
21-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Mantumakers????? please enlighten Geoffers

sandie

Guy Etchells
21-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Fine seamstresses
Cheers
Guy

sandiep
22-05-2005, 12:03 AM