PDA

View Full Version : Governors of prisons

Jon Whiting
13-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I have been researching the Herring family and one of them, Benjamin Herring (1771 - 1832) was governor of the Bridewell at Winchester from 1825 to 1832. Before that he had spent his life as an upholsterer with a premises at 88 Newgate, London.

How easy was it to become a prison governor and what qualifications, if any, were required?

Jon

ziksby
14-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Not an answer to your question, but a search of A2A national archives found this ...

FILE - Letter from the Keeper of the Winchester Bridewell to John Sanders that application should be made to G.P. Jervoise for the release of George Clarke for good behaviour, 8 Aug 1825 - ref. 44M69/G3/1003 - date: 1825

Was the keeper your ancestor or his predecessor?

A2A archives online at http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp
The above from the Hampshire Record office.
Keyword search: Winchester Bridewell

Jon Whiting
14-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for that. I had already found that reference but have not seen the original document yet. So far all I know is that Benjamin took control of the prison about 18 months before 13th Jan 1827 (reference in Salisbury and Winchester Journal).

"It appears that the profits arising from the plan adopted since Mr.Herring had conducted the bridewell (a period of about 18 months), amounted to upwards of £400 one half of which belonged to the county, the other half was to be divided between Mr.Herring and the prisoners. It was therefore ordered that £100 should be paid to Mr.Herring as his share."

Jon

Theevath
03-08-2005, 5:56 PM
Hi Jon,

As you know, I'm also following the Herrings. Did you find any more on this Benjamin?

Theevath

Lottie
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Jon

I have been researching the Herring family and one of them, Benjamin Herring (1771 - 1832) was governor of the Bridewell at Winchester from 1825 to 1832. Before that he had spent his life as an upholsterer with a premises at 88 Newgate, London.

How easy was it to become a prison governor and what qualifications, if any, were required?

JonThe two instances of Prison Governors in my family were both well into 19th century, but one was Ret. Navy the other an ex Parish Constable. That wouldn't apply says Jon, !
But I also have ALPORT Family resident in London, 1700's who were Clerks , Merchants etc. but were also listed in London Militia. So wonder if perhaps your Benjamin, may appear in the same.
I am not sure about how one, became listed - but wonder if it was a Voluntary Force, for use in emergency - like present day Terriotorials / Naval Reserve ( NZ Name for them ) Two of the ALPORTs, I mentioned ,were both involved with the Militia ,during the Gordon Riots 1780?

Lottie
New Zealand