PDA

View Full Version : Sergeantsons of Kirkby Malham

tlcompton
18-08-2010, 9:24 PM
I am seeking information on the family of Edward Sergeantson/Sergianstone who died in Scosthrop, Kirkby Malham, Yorkshire in 1600. In his will probated at York, 2 Oct 1600, he mentions daughter Margaret, wife of Adam Swire of Airton, and sons Hughe, William and wife Grace, Mylles, Henrie, Christopher, and Richard. Also mentioned in the will were Roger Iveson and Robert Carlill as trustees. Land specifically mentioned includes Highlings in Scosthrop Field, headland at Garth, Hardrigge, and Aldmorland.
My line comes down through Margaret and Adam, who married 11 Dec 1599 in Kirkby Malham. I would really like to find information on the other family members.

lizone
18-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Hello

The Swire families of Skipton and Gargrave the surrounding areas are fairly well covered by local historians at the beginning of the last century. Harry Speight (1855 - 1915) from Bingley, whose books are out of print but available on CD, wrote several books about the area, which may be a good starting place, if you haven't seen them already. I see there's a Swire pedigree in his 'Nidderdale' book.

A note on the geography, this whole area is in North Yorkshire (not sure when/if that may have changed), just in case you get a bit lost!

tlcompton
19-08-2010, 1:18 AM
Hello

The Swire families of Skipton and Gargrave the surrounding areas are fairly well covered by local historians at the beginning of the last century. Harry Speight (1855 - 1915) from Bingley, whose books are out of print but available on CD, wrote several books about the area, which may be a good starting place, if you haven't seen them already. I see there's a Swire pedigree in his 'Nidderdale' book.

A note on the geography, this whole area is in North Yorkshire (not sure when/if that may have changed), just in case you get a bit lost!

I did not know about the books. I'll see about tracking down copies. Thanks.

Jan1954
19-08-2010, 5:29 AM
I did not know about the books. I'll see about tracking down copies. Thanks.If you go to the Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/index.php) main page and put Harry Speight into the search box, six books pop up. :smile5:

lizone
19-08-2010, 1:06 PM
The other resourse I neglected to mention was Speight's substantial archive of research and associated correspondence which is lodged with the West Yorkshire Archive Service at Bradford Library. If you search for West Yorkshire Archive service online, you will be able to search their database and see the extent of Speight's archive and his correspondence across the world. No obvious mention of Sargeantson, but there may be something lurking somewhere. Speight definitely was researching the Swire name in the area, as he was writing a pedigree of Sir Swire Smith from Keighley, a nearby industrial town.

lizone
19-08-2010, 3:24 PM
Just another follow-up on the Speight books, it looks like 'Craven and the North West Yorkshire Highlands and Upper Wharfedale' (2 separate publications) are the ones for you - there may be a Sergeantson pedigree in the latter.

tlcompton
20-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the additional information on the books; I can try inter-library loan. I did visit the Bradford archives a few years ago and came back with some stuff on Swires from there. I also went through Sergeanstson collection at the Skipton library but could not find a direct connection to my Edward among what documents were left there (many were missing).