PDA

View Full Version : The Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire

olive_oyl
11-08-2010, 4:17 PM
I've just had this site recommended to me, its a little goldmine!

I do hope its ok to post this link & apologies if it's been posted before.

www.
forest-of-dean.net

SBSFamilyhistory
12-08-2010, 8:07 AM
Yes they have spent a lot of time transcribing not only the forest of dean records but they have also stretched the boundries more than a little. They go into Herfordshire and other area's of Gloucestershire so even if you think I don't have family in the forest of dean but I do have them in Gloucestershire or even just over the border herefordshire/monmouthshire then take a look just in case.

Sue

PS later today I will try and list all of the areas outside of the forest.

banalban
16-01-2016, 4:30 PM
I recently joined the site and see that several of you have been members for a few years.
I am an American researching in the Forest of Dean area as my grandfather was a miner from a little place called Yorkley Slade. He immigrated to America in the 1920's. I have conducted some research and was a member of the FDFHS a few years ago; I work full time so my research is intermittent. Can you offer some advice or suggestions as to what other sites or blogs to join so I can further my research? I will be renewing my membership with the Forest of Dean Family History Society. Thank you.

Pam Downes
17-01-2016, 1:51 PM
I recently joined the site and see that several of you have been members for a few years.
I am an American researching in the Forest of Dean area as my grandfather was a miner from a little place called Yorkley Slade. He immigrated to America in the 1920's. I have conducted some research and was a member of the FDFHS a few years ago; I work full time so my research is intermittent. Can you offer some advice or suggestions as to what other sites or blogs to join so I can further my research? I will be renewing my membership with the Forest of Dean Family History Society. Thank you.
British-Genealogy is 'the other site' that you need - at least initially. :smile5:
If you tell us who you're looking for, and the information you have on them so far, then we can either fill in a few blanks or suggest places to go/look, e.g. have you looked at the parish registers for xyz place?

Pam

gdtalkin
17-01-2016, 9:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here as well and I live in the Forest of Dean, in Bream, about two miles from Yorkley. Yes, it still exists. A friend of mine runs a local history site with lots of pictures of the area, http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney/_LydneyPage3.htm Is the section on Yorkley.

banalban
20-01-2016, 10:06 PM
British-Genealogy is 'the other site' that you need - at least initially. :smile5:
If you tell us who you're looking for, and the information you have on them so far, then we can either fill in a few blanks or suggest places to go/look, e.g. have you looked at the parish registers for xyz place?

Pam

Hello, Pam, and thanks for the welcome and the offer to help. I have researched, and documented, back to my great grandparents. They were Albert Edward Cox, 1863-1936 and Elizabeth Partridge Cox 1861-1930. They lived in Yorkley Slade, West Dean and Lydney. I have not been able to verify where Elizabeth was born nor where her Partridge family may have originated. A couple of local researchers have helped me over time, but the initial researcher gave incorrect information, and provided the wrong Cox family. The Lambert name was Albert's mother's surname and the first name of Hannah Maria was provided as a possibility, married to a John Cox. I have found a great deal on the name John Cox, but there were a lot of them in that area and I cannot determine which would be my ancestor. I plan to join the Forest of Dean Family History Society and hopefully I can find further. I would also appreciate any suggestions you can offer as well. Thank you