PDA

View Full Version : Roberson Taylor

rocala
11-08-2010, 3:01 PM
My Ancestor Roberson (aka Robinson) Taylor 1821-1904 was married in 1842. The marriage cert names his father as Thomas Roberson Taylor.

I have never been able to locate this person or get past him on this branch of the tree or find the link to the Robersons.

RobersonTaylor was born in Longstanton and married Elizabeth Craft there.

Does anybody know about his fathers line ?

DebE
13-09-2010, 7:02 PM
My relation is the same as above, Roberson Taylor being my GR GR Grandfather. No info re Thomas Roberson Taylor at the Cambridge records office, who was named on his Marraige cert in 1842. When I googled Tomas Roberson Taylor, it said of Stapleford Cambridge? do you know if that is correct?

Mutley
13-09-2010, 9:15 PM
According to Family Search,
Roberson and Elizabeth baptised children at Drayton, Cambridge.

Somewhere along the line, a Robert may have been a Robert's son to equal Roberson.
I don't know if it is worth a look for Thomas Robert or Robert Thomas as the father's name.

davidcarca
14-09-2010, 7:13 AM
I can't see a baptism of Roberson Taylor on the Baptism Index at
www.
cfhs.org.uk/Search.html
Without that you may find it difficult to progress further back.

It might be that he was illegitimate and his father was a Roberson - there were both Taylors and
Robersons in Long Stanton at the right time. He may have invented his father at his marriage.

Unfortunately the 1841 census doesn't add much as he was in the same house as Thomas Craft,
who may have been connected to his future wife.

David

rocala
14-09-2010, 3:57 PM
Hi All

Thanks for responding. The Stapleford connection is new to me. I don't think I got that last time I googled the name.
I have often considered the illegitimacy angle, it would be a nice way for a Miss Taylor to give her baby his fathers name.

Just have to keep digging!

janbooth
15-09-2010, 10:29 AM
It might be worthwhile purchasing the PR Transcripts of Long Stanton cd and looking through for an appropriate baptism or any other clues. I may be maligning this poor bloke and his family, but in the 1841 census of Long Stanton there is a family of ROBINSONs living at Willingham End - perhaps one of this family had a fling with Miss TAYLOR??? There is, for example, an Elizabeth TAYLOR baptised in 1792.

Janet

davidcarca
15-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Long Stanton baptisms have been extracted onto the IGI so there's no real need to invest in the transcript at this stage

Mutley
15-09-2010, 8:01 PM
Long Stanton baptisms have been extracted onto the IGI so there's no real need to invest in the transcript at this stage

Unless you wish to support the owners of the forum as well as the mormons. Both give us an awful lot of free family history. :wink:

Geoffers
16-09-2010, 8:41 PM

Except of course that the IGI is just an index and doesn't contain the full detail recorded in a register, such as the annual notes kept by clerics (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?7520-quot-The-Hard-times-of-Old-England), the bits of scandal (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?38967-A-bit-of-scandal-in-Little-Plumstead), the causes of death recorded in registers (e.g. Blickling, Buxton, Aylsham and Worstead, Nfk), the lists of collections made by parishes for charitable purposes (e.g. Stratton Strawless, Nfk) , the list of people inoculated againt Smallpox (e.g. Blickling, Nfk), the early list of occupations in the 17th century (e.g. Worstead, Nfk). The examples given are from one county, but I have seen similar inclusions for other counties. The IGI is a flawed but useful aid, nothing more than that.

janbooth
17-09-2010, 9:25 AM
Thanks Geoffers - you put it so much more eloquently than I could!! Parish registers are a wonderful asset, especially if the local incumbent (or whoever wrote the register) added asides to the actual entry. I have seen some great examples of who the fathers were reputed to be in cases of illegitimate baptisms - didn't happen unfortunately in my cases of illegitimate ancestors.

The LDS have records for both Bishops' Transcripts and Parish Registers of Longstanton, so you could always hire the appropriate film/fiche to view in situ at your nearest Family History Centre.

Janet

davidcarca
18-09-2010, 2:33 PM
As there's no baptism on either the invaluable IGI, extracted entries so reliable, or on the separately produced Baptism Index 1801-37 on the excellent Cambs FHS site mentioned above, it might be worthwhile contacting Cambridge Records Office to see if they hold any bastardy papers for Long Stanton

rocala
18-09-2010, 5:43 PM
Thanks to everybody for the help and advice.

Bob

antjam
08-05-2012, 1:39 AM
I too am a descendent of Roberson/Robinson TAYLOR & Elizabeth TAYLOR (born CRAFT) he is my G.Grandfather, my Grandfather being Walter TAYLOR, who married Elizabeth TAYLOR (born VINCENT). I know who "rocala" is, he is my cousins son, and I would very much like to make contact with him, I have never met "rocala" but that's probably because I've lived in New Zealand for the last50 years. If somebody could pass my message and email address onto "rocala" it would be very much appreciated. . .

Thank you.

antjam

Jan1954
08-05-2012, 8:30 AM
Hello antjam - welcome to Brit-Gen,

If you click on rocala's user name, a drop-down box appears. One of the options is to send an email, which may speed up contact. :smile5: