PDA

View Full Version : Webbs of Bottisham /Lode Cambridgeshire

webb
11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello my name is Paul Webb i have been researching my family history in bottisham/lode for the past yr.i have managed to trace a line back to the late 1700s. My problem is the webb name goes back to the 1400s in bottisham/lode . The only link i can make with earlier generations is that my family were wheelwrights does any one know if this is a strong enough link to hang my hat on.

janbooth
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello Paul,

The earliest mentions of WEB/WEBB on the Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index is a William WEB baptised at Bottisham in 1619, another William WEB baptised Bottisham in 1621 and a Christian WEB baptised Bottisham in 1622. The Parish Chest has the PR Transcripts of Bottisham 1561-1950 for sale which could prove very useful to you in tracing back your ancestors. Have you thought to see if any of your known ancestors left a will. As they were wheelwrights they may well have done so and these could also prove invaluable to you in your research. There is certainly a will on The National Archives Documents Online site for a Thomas WEBBE of Bottisham proved in 1607 - probably too early for you at this stage but there may be later wills at Cambridgeshire Record Office. There is a searchable online database on the Record Office website which could give you some leads.

You could also try a Google Book Search for your WEBB family using Bottisham as a search parameter - quite a few hits come up but whether they are your WEBB family or not, I do not know.

Janet

webb
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Many thanks ,most helpful

chrisann
02-01-2011, 3:15 AM
Hi Paul, my mum was a Webb, her family ive got from 1810 devon, then London, there are many many William Webbs out there!! all very confusing. Good Luck!! Chris

webb
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi chris, my third cousin moved from london to Hobart just after WW2 they had chrildren some I believe moved to New Zealand !! send me a pm with names you never know we might be related. paul

chrisann
03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi Paul, we moved to NZ 1959. however i dont know where any of the rellies may/may not have moved to. Surnames in my tree; Webb/Hornabrooke/Walter/Smith/Hodges.
My first Webbs ive got in Cornwall William E b1860, Williiam b1857. Then in London John Alexander Webb.(my grandfather)
Would be great if anything matched!!!! but ??? thanks chris

chrisann
03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
me again lol my first William E Webb b1810 NOT 1860 lololol

mfwebb
04-01-2011, 9:18 AM
Hello Paul,

Good to find someone else researching their direct Webb line. My Webb's are from Bedfordshire with no connection to your part of the world as far as I know. My 4 x great grandfather was William Webb and I know everything about him except for his place of birth about 1749. It should be Ampthill, Houghton Conquest or Bedford but he's not in the parish records. There is a remote connection with Wellingborough Northants but he's not there either.

Good luck with your research.

webb
04-01-2011, 1:26 PM
Hi Chris
don't think we have a match, my london webb was a george he married ivy billinghurst they had a son called William and three daughters the son and his wife moved Austrailia Paul

webb
04-01-2011, 1:41 PM
Hello Malcolm

Interesting I have a copy of a will ( john webb } which mentions an estate in bedford which is to be left to his eldest son, will have to dig it out and see what else it says. paul