PDA

View Full Version : Prison Admission Records

grahamwilk
11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi, my grandfather may have served a prison sentence for Bigamy sometime between 1945 and 1950 in Lincoln. The local archives hold the prison admission records that would clear this family "story" up one way or another, the trouble is they have told me there is a 75 year closure period on the records! I have been told there is a chance I could still look at the records under the Freedom Of Information Act. Any thoughts?

Thanks Graham.

Geoffers
11-08-2010, 1:57 PM
I suggest trying a search of TNA's catalogue (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp) as a first option

In the word or phrase field enter your chap's surname followed by 'AND bigamy' - The AND needs to be in capital letters

In the year range enter 1944-1950

Then search and see if any of the results relate to your chap - if they do, see if you can order copies of the record.

The following link is the result of a search for 1944-1945 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=bigamy&txtfirstdate=1944&txtlastdate=1945&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=23&image1.y=11&image1=GO) - Any familiar names?

grahamwilk
11-08-2010, 3:15 PM
Hi Geoffers, iv'e had a look on the NA site but no luck with the search. I noticed in the catalogue there is a section called Bigamy Cases PIN 19/260 that covers the years i am looking for. Do you think this covers ALL bigamy cases in the UK between the given years. Sounds to good to be true

Peter Goodey
11-08-2010, 3:39 PM
I noticed in the catalogue there is a section called Bigamy Cases PIN 19/260 that covers the years i am looking for

The catalogue provides advice under PIN 19/260/1. When contacting them, make sure you include all relevant identity details to help them identify the case you're interested in. You may have to be ready to prove that any people mentioned are deceased. The records may not necessarily include much information that isn't relevant to national insurance.

grahamwilk
11-08-2010, 3:45 PM
If it gives proof that my grandfather did actually commit bigamy, it would be a start!

Thanks

Elwyn Soutter
12-08-2010, 6:43 AM
Have you considered searching newspapers which might have reported the trial?

Elwyn

grahamwilk
12-08-2010, 9:23 AM
Hi, thats my next step! when time permits thanks