PDA

View Full Version : Thread Tools

Colin Rowledge
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
This may have been addressed somewhere else, but rather than scroll through umpteen submitted threads, I want to print off relevant details of a specific thread so that I can refer to them in the future.

How do I do this?

Mutley
09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
On the dark blue bar (in white text) at the top of a thread is a line of options starting with 'View First Unread'

The second option is 'Thread Tools', if you click on that, the first choice in the drop down list is:

'Show Printable Version'

You can either print it as is, or copy and paste it into a word processor so you can delete the posts not required.

busyglen
10-08-2010, 1:58 PM
Quite often I want to note a couple of sections on a thread, and these (because I didn't know how to do otherwise), I just copy and paste to Word, adding a heading or whatever. I can then also add other bits if I subsequently come across more info.

Glenys

Sue Mackay
10-08-2010, 3:10 PM
OK, I have just tried an experiment, and it worked. It's only really useful if there is one particular post within a thread that you want to be able to keep and access at all times without complicated searching.

First tick the square box next to the post number - the banner will turn yellow

Then highlight and copy the URL at the top of the screen, which will include the post number

Now send a private message to yourself, calling it whatever you like, and pasting the URL to that post in the message. You can move the PM to your archived folder (easy to create one of you don't have one) and just click on the URL to be taken instantly to the post in question.

Sue Mackay
10-08-2010, 8:25 PM
I created a new folder and called it "saved posts". How do you transfer messages from the inbox to the folder?

Tick the box next to the PM you want to keep so that the banner goes yellow. Scroll down slightly and you will see a Selected Messages button which should now have a (1) beside it. Click the button and choose the Move to Folder option, then Proceed. You will probably be offered your Saved Messages folder as first choice, if not scroll down the menu. Voila.

2nd question is: once you've created the folder does it use the space allocated to the inbox and outbox?
Yes I think it does, but at least there is less likelihood of accidentally deleting the messages you want to save, and you can be ruthless about deleting Sent messages and non essential incoming PMs