PDA

View Full Version : Devoy (coachman, Domestic)

Chrissy
13-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi There

I seem to have reached a dead end with my husbands great grandfather Thomas Devoy and great grandmother Rhoda.

The only reference I have of him is on his sons birth cert, which says his occupation was a coachman (domestic). However his wife Rhoda who has always been known to the family as (nee Broad) shows on the birth cert as (nee Brown). They were living in 1894 according to the cert at 10 John Street, Heworth Road York.

Can anyone tell me how a domestic coachman would differ from any other type of coachman?

It is also very strange that when I have searched for a marriage for Rhoda and Thomas I have come away empty handed and I can find no death record for Thomas when Rhoda remarries in 1901.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what direction I should take next?

Kind Regards

Chrissy

ghornsey
14-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Chrissy,
I can't help you with your family research but I can suggest the probable meaning of "domestic coachman". He would be a family employee as coachman in the days when wealthy families would have one or more coachmen.
Had he simply been described as "coachman" he would have driven public coaches; in modern terms, a bus driver rather than a chauffeur!!!
(In the 1901 census I have a relative described as "domestic coachman", so the description lasted until then).
Kind regards,

Geoffrey

Chrissy
16-10-2004, 9:48 AM
Thanks very much for that Geoffrey I am hoping he did indeed work for a 'Good' family and that his was the death in London that I have ordered the cert for :-))

Kind Regards

Chrissy