PDA

View Full Version : Bolus/bolas Surname In Willenhall

ronbolus
16-05-2005, 7:23 PM
The Bolus/Bolas family came to the lock-making town of Willenhall , Staffs in the early part of the 1800s ( previous generations having been in B-ham and before that in rural Warks between B-ham and coventry). My g X2 was a master Locksmith: James Bolus(sometimes Bolas) (1817 -1897). His brother john was a File cutter in the lock industry.
I know all about them BUT I do NOT know how they stayed together and how/why they came to reach Willenhall after being orphaned in Aston around 1823. Could it be Poor Law Resettlement----if so , does anyone have records please? Could it have been a relative in Willenhall: if so, who ? I cannot find out. Any help from anyone who may have come across the name in their own research would be greatly appreciated.
Also, James may have been apprenticed to a Willenhall lockmaker called Ash ( one of james wives was fanny Bostock/Bostick nee Ash); and John was married to a Willenhall/Walsall lady called Susannah Robinson, whose father: Edward Robinson was a willenhall locksmith----so John could have been apprenticed to HIM. Any relevant info on the Ash/Robinson (possible) connection would therefore also be welcomed. We are talking anytime from early 1800s please. TIA
Best wishes......Ron Bolus