PDA

View Full Version : Shirley17

Shirley17
16-05-2005, 4:03 PM
I am trying to start my family tree and having little luck in tracing my father Arthur Clewlow who was, I believe born in 1884 in possibley Staffordshire or Yorkshire - but no trace on the 1901 census. He married my mother Hannah Elizabeth Wainwright on 4.7.1908 at Purston, Yorkshire. His age was shown on the Marriage Certificate as 24. Any ideas please (I am quite new to this). I would be most grateful.

AnnB
16-05-2005, 6:24 PM
Hello Shirley and welcome
I've just had a quick look at the 1901 Census On-Line at http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and found 2 Arthur Clewlows who would fit the bill :confused:
Arthur Clewlow - aged 17 - born Fenton Stafford, Yorks - Civil Parish Featherstone - Underground Pit Boy
Arthur Clewlow - aged 18 - born Staffs., Stafford - Civil Parish Stafford - Shoe......
You would have to obtain the images to find any further information, but as you say he could have been born in Staffordshire or Yorkshire, you may find it difficult to decide which one he is!
Presumably you have a copy of your parent's birth certificate, so from that you will know your father's father's name, which might help you decide which of the 2 it is - presuming either of them are still living with their parents in 1901. What was your father's occupation? If he worked with shoes or had connections with a mine, then you might be able to decide by the occupations of the 2 Arthurs.
Hope that helps a bit
Best wishes
Ann

Jo Simpsons
16-05-2005, 6:25 PM
This isn't the best place to ask for help. Thi is really as a test area. You would get much more help on other parts of the forum.
I have just had a look at 1901 census, do you know what Arthurs father was called?
In Phipps St (not sure of that) Featherstone Yorkshire there is a family, transcribed as Clenlow
John Clewlow 46, Carter, Fenton, Stafford
Sarah, 45, ,,
Mary Ann, 18, ,,
Arthur,17, Underground pit boy, ,,
John, 15, surface pit boy, ,,
Edward, 13, ,,
Emily, 7, ,,

RG13/4298 Folio 60 Page 5

Jo :)

Jo Simpsons
16-05-2005, 6:34 PM
Sorry Ann!

Jo :)

AnnB
16-05-2005, 6:35 PM
That's OK Jo, it's usually me who gets beaten to it :cool:
Best wishes
Ann

Shirley17
19-05-2005, 5:38 PM
Hi Jo: Many thanks! You could be right. I have no birth certificates, just the marriage cert, but I do know that my father had brothers (no precise ages known) and the names you supplied fit. In fact, Mary Clewlow was a witness at their wedding. I am so grateful. Now I have to try to delve further back for John Clewlow, who I know was a "Carter" by trade. I am most grateful. The day I posted my message was my first time on this forum and I haven't quite got the hangs of things as yet%2message=Hi Jo: Many thanks! You could be right. I have no birth certificates, just the marriage cert, but I do know that my father had brothers (no precise ages known) and the names you supplied fit. In fact, Mary Clewlow was a witness at their wedding. I am so grateful. Now I have to try to delve further back for John Clewlow, who I know was a "Carter" by trade. I am most grateful. The day I posted my message was my first time on this forum and I haven't quite got the hangs of things as yet, so please bear with me.

Shirley17
19-05-2005, 5:39 PM
Hi Jo: Many thanks! You could be right. I have no birth certificates, just the marriage cert, but I do know that my father had brothers (no precise ages known) and the names you supplied fit. In fact, Mary Clewlow was a witness at their wedding. I am so grateful. Now I have to try to delve further back for John Clewlow, who I know was a "Carter" by trade. I am most grateful. The day I posted my message was my first time on this forum and I haven't quite got the hangs of things as yet, so please bear with me. Shirley 17

AnnB
20-05-2005, 7:24 AM
Hello Shirley
I tried to reply to the e-mail you sent me, but got it returned saying that it did't recognise your e-mail address :( Never mind, it looks as if you are on the right road now :) Don't forget we all had to start somewhere, and, to be honest, I think if I was starting now I would be far more confused than I was before we had all the resources available today ;)
Best wishes
Ann

Shirley17
20-05-2005, 7:41 PM
AnnB- Thank you and Jo for your help. I am struggling to find my way round this site, let alone any others! I obviously put my message in the wrong thread, and I have a job to find things. I am most grateful for any help. I couldn't even find any details from the 1901 census, so it shows how inept I am. Shirley17

Jo Simpsons
20-05-2005, 8:14 PM
Shirley all new things take time to get used to. Don't worry! :)
This is on the Staffordshire list now instead of the test area so some nice moderator has been looking! :)
Names on census can often be transcribed wrong, you just have to play about with the names thats all.
On the forum you have Place forums, that lists each area. So if you have an interest in a place you can click on that name and it will come up for that forum. Like your original post is now on Staffordshire county-wide forum. Theres also The Black Country and the potteries as sub places too. Then there are the topics, general and a place there to have some chit chat! Genealogy suppliers support and discussion. Each bit has sections in it to go to. You can also subscribe to forums, so you don't miss any news. You will get an email saying anything that is new. To do that you have to open the place you want to watch and at the top right there is a box that says "forum tools" click that and a drop down menu comes up and if you click subscribe to forum. Then pick how you would like to know, daily or weekly updates.
Also if you click the persons name who has written something you will get a drop down menu from that you can contact a person, via email or private message, their profile etc.
Don't worry if you get stuck, there are lovely people on here who will help you. :)
Jo :D

Pamela Hall
20-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Just a little addition to help out with this

John Clewlow married Sarah Perry at Christ Church Fenton on 23 April 1876
He was 22 and she was 21.
His father was Thomas Clewlow deceased a potter
Her father was John Perry deceased a potter

Pam
Fenton
Stoke on Trent

Procat
20-05-2005, 11:29 PM
From the 1891 census:

Civil parish: Featherstone
Ecclesiastical parish: Purston cum Featherstone
Town:
County: Yorkshire

Source information: RG12/3759
Registration district: Pontefract
Sub registration district: Pontefract
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Folio: 117
Page: 30
Schedule: 164

Phipps Street

John Clewlow Head Married, Age 36 Coal Miner Born Fenton Staffs
Sarah Clewlow Wife Married Ag35 Born Fenton Staffs
Elizabeth Clewlow Daughter Age 11 Scholar Born Fenton Staffs
Mary A Clewlow Daughter Age 8 Scholar Born Fenton Staffs
Arthur Clewlow Son Age 7 Scholar Born Fenton Staffs
John Clewlow Son Age 5 Scholar Born Fenton Staffs
Edward Clewlow Son Age 3 Born Featherstone Yorkshire
Sarah Clewlow Daughter Age 1 Week Born Featherstone Yorkshire

Shirley17
26-05-2005, 5:23 PM
Procat, AnnB and Jo - Thank you so much for helping this raw beginner - I am so grateful for any help, and I think this site is amazing, with so many kind people. Perhaps I may be able to delve a little further back now, with your assistance. Shirley17