PDA

View Full Version : Help looking for marriages

Jane Godden
02-08-2010, 8:08 PM
Hi - I'd really appreciate some help/advice. I've been searching for months through local parish registers for 3marriages but can find no trace. I have the registration details from Free BMD but can't get any further. I know they must have married locally as all partners come from the area and they remained in the area afterwards according to census records. I have absolutely no idea where to look for non-conformist marriages and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction? I don't have a subscription to ancestry.com.

The marriages are as follows:

William Jackson to Mary Housley June 1866 Basford 7b 235
Job Clifton to Fanny Housley Dec 1886 Basford 7b 358
William Housley to Hannah Saxton Dec 1884 Basford 7b 356

I am trying to verify that all 3 of the Housley's belong to my family tree and find out names of fathers, residence and any witnesses at the marriage.

Hope someone can help,

Many thanks

Jane

Mutley
02-08-2010, 8:30 PM
Sorry I don't know about the non-conformist marriages for that area.

I had a quick look for a Job Clifton, guess at born 1860ish in Nottinghamshire.
There is one born 1865 in Greasley
In 1871 he is a grandson of a Joseph and Mary, a Fanny is one their daughters.
In 1881 he is the stepson of William and Fanny Goodwin

In 1891 he is born 1861 in Newthorpe, living in Greasley
married to Annie, children are Mable age 6, Ambrose 4, Gertrude 2 and Ernest age 1

In 1901 he is born 1865 in Greasley, living in Greasley
Married to Annie, children are Ellen age 14, Ernest 9, Mable 5, William 3

In the last two census the children are all wrong ages so maybe there are two fellows with the name.
I am happy to look further if you think this could be Fanny and any of the names ring bells.

Lizzy9
02-08-2010, 8:31 PM
Does this help?

1891, Greasley, Brinsley.

William Housley 49
Jane Housley 49
Thomas Housley 19/ son
Walter Housley 15 /son
Job Clifton 24/ son in law
Fanny Clifton 22 / dau
Thomas Swann 74 /father
Samuel Calvert 20 boarder
Nelly Clifton 4/dau

RG12; Piece: 2661; Folio 6; Page 5 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Jan1954
02-08-2010, 8:32 PM
Hello Jane,

There are some non-conformist records available at the Nottnghamshire Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=157).

However, the marriages that you have found have been registered in the Basford district (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/basford.html), and so did not necessarily take place in Basford itself.

You may, therefore, find that the best way is to order copies of the certificates themselves.

Lizzy9
02-08-2010, 8:37 PM
William Jackson to Mary Housley June 1866 Basford 7b 235
Job Clifton to Fanny Housley Dec 1886 Basford 7b 358
William Housley to Hannah Saxton Dec 1884 Basford 7b 356

Very possibly the Fanny and William above are siblings.

William Housley 40
Jane Housley 40
William Housley 15
Fanny Housley 12
Thomas Housley 9
Walter Housley 6
Flora Needen 7

RG11/3322/104/9 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Lizzy9
02-08-2010, 8:48 PM
Mary who married William Jackson could be the sister of Fanny's father, William. These are only maybe's though, and to be certain you will need to buy the marriage certificates.

1851, Greasley

William Housley 47
Tarmey (looks like Fanny on original) Housley 39
Samuel Housley 17
Martha Housley 12
William Housley 10
Mary Housley 4
Martha Housley 79 mother.

HO107/2125/317/23 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Mutley
02-08-2010, 8:49 PM
There is a mention of non-conformist churches in Basford on the Nottinghamshire History site.
www.
nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/basford3.htm

The Palm Street Chapel was built in 1829. Thomas Robinson was its minister (see page 180). The communion plate is preserved inscribed, "Scotch Baptist Church, 1829." The burial ground attached was closed in 1860.

The Baptist Chapel in Chelsea Street was re-built in 1871, and the Schoolrooms, now partly used for the Public Library and Reading Room, in 1883. The Rev. W. B. Stevenson, formerly of Broad Street Chapel, was minister here at one time.

The Wesleyans had a Chapel in Mount Street, now used by the Salvation Army. In 1877 a new Chapel was built in Early English style, on land given by Mr. Alfred Fewkes. The Primitive Chapel was built in 1895, superseding an older one in Duke Street. The United Methodist Chapel, with extensive schoolrooms, was built in 1872.

Jane Godden
02-08-2010, 8:57 PM
Hi
thanks all for replies so far.
I have got all the census info mentioned (Annie in Mutley's reply is Fanny) but wanted the marriage records to fit a few more pieces of the jigsaw together. There are LOTS of William Housleys locally and untangling them is becoming a bit of an obsession for me!
The William Housley who married in 1884 is definitely not the one you found in the 1881 census records (s he is my great great grandfather -proven - the William whose marriage I am trying to trace, may or may not be, William's (the one born in 1841) cousin. Finding his father's name would confirm it (hopefully).
I'll send for the wedding certificates if I can't find out anything about non conformist marriages in my area (would be Brinsley, Eastwood or Greasley in Nottinghamshire). I spent several hours at Eastwood library last week going through all the parish records and non of the marriages were there.

Regards

Mutley
02-08-2010, 9:03 PM
Any help on Genuki for Nottinghamshire? (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/)

Kerrywood
02-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I'll send for the wedding certificates if I can't find out anything about non conformist marriages in my area (would be Brinsley, Eastwood or Greasley in Nottinghamshire). I spent several hours at Eastwood library last week going through all the parish records and non of the marriages were there
Do bear in mind that there's always the possibility they married in a register office. In that case, the certificates would be your only option.

Jane Godden
03-08-2010, 6:24 PM
I didn't realise that register offices existed in the 1800s - am learning something new everyday since getting into this family tree stuff!
Thanks.

sheilastain
03-08-2010, 8:02 PM
Hi Jane

As you live in Nottingham, I would suggest that you visit Nottingham Archives. If you are a member of Nottinghamshire libraries you can book a computer at the Archives online. You then will be able to search the Nottinghamshire family history society records for marriages in Nottinghamshire that could turn these up if you are trying to avoid the expense of sending for marriage certs. You would then be able to check the actual parish records and do a printout. Of course as previuosly stated if they married in the register office you could only find the info by sending for the cert.
Sheila