PDA

View Full Version : Hill - Policemen in Swansea, Glamorgans

janismccahill
29-07-2010, 2:37 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone have any info on these families and where I might find information on policemen in Swansea. They are families of a friend of mine.

Theodore Charles Hill (Police Inspector). In the 1911 census he was 43 living with his second wife Margaret 28,daughter Ruby 3 and daughter Theodora 18 (teacher) address 29 Kinley Terrace ,St Thomas, Swansea Glamorganshire. His daughter Theodora may be from first wife Edith Hughes.

John Hill (Police Constable) in 1911 census he was 29,wife Sarah (possibly Thomas) 28,daughter Phyllis 3 and daughter Olive 1yr.They live on Pentregethen Rd Swansea,Glamorganshire.

Thank you,
Janis McCahill in Ontario, Canada

AdeleE
29-07-2010, 2:44 AM
Hello Janis,
So that we can assist, what type of information is your friend seeking? Is it police records only or ancestor/descendant research?

janismccahill
30-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi,
She is interested in family information but thought that since both of these men were policemen that might help someone recognize the families. If you know of a police association that she could write that would be great but she would like to know if there are any other children we may have missed that were born to these families.
If there are any descendants of these families or connections to these families would be nice as well. She is in Canada as well and the families are on her mother's line so has little information about them. She has found her father's descendants and ancestors (Whelan) and we have done a pretty good job of finding the ancestors of these two families (Hill) but this is as far as we have got going forward with the families and seem to be stuck with the information I have here. The 1911 census was a great help.
Thanks so much for your interest.
All the best,
Janis

Sue Mackay
30-07-2010, 7:38 AM
You might find this site (http://www.southwalespolicemuseum.org.uk/en/content/cms/visit_the_archives/visit_the_archives.aspx) useful.

Some years ago I looked at the police records for someone in my husband's tree, whose notebook I had found at the museum, and these were held at the Glamorgan Archives in Cardiff, even although he had been a policeman in Mumbles (near Swansea) for a while. Go to the catalogue (http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/) and enter Glamorgan Constabulary. See No. 12 in particular. However, as you are in Canada, you may need to e-mail Glamorgan Archives to see whether they can help.

janismccahill
31-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Sue,
Thanks so much for the reply. I will pass on the links and directions you have given. This should be very helpful.
All the best,
Janis