PDA

View Full Version : Irish Families in Bedwelty, Tredegar

Mutley
23-07-2010, 10:49 PM
The Irish did not seem to baptise their children in this part of Wales, or at least I am struggling to find some of them. Where would Catholic families and non-conformists practice their religion?

I have found a reference to the Saron Chapel, Bedwelty Pits, does anyone know of this?

I am particularly interested in Owen Fox, three generations of the same name.

The Cahills, Mary Jane whose father is Thomas but I lose the plot when they link with the Shea family and Catherine. Martha second wife of John Buffinis giving me hell, I am sure she is a Cahill.

Of course, they marry with Williams and Davies and Phillips families to complicate matters even further.

If anyone has these names in their tree from Bedwelty area, I would be pleased to hear from them.

hampshire hog
31-03-2011, 1:54 PM
The local Catholic Church in Tredegar is Church of the Immaculate Conception, Tredegar, Gwent.
The priest Fr. Coles is a very approachable fella and I'm sure he will help you out if he can... regarding the Non conformists....well, there are an awful lot of chapels so I wouldn't have a clue...

malcolm99
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
The Cahills ... Martha second wife of John Buffinis giving me hell, I am sure she is a Cahill.

Is this your Martha with husband Daniel and Thomas, Mary J and John? RG10 piece 5319 folio 38 page 17

Record in care of TNA: Crown Copyright

malcolm99
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
...and could she have been Martha Darragh in Dec Q 1865 in West Derby? (a good place for the Welsh and Irish to meet although a long way from the Valleys!).

malcolm99
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
...and could she have been Martha Darragh

On second thoughts, no she couldn't - time for a cuppa and a nap methinks.

Mutley
01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh dear, this is an old thread. I was 'doing' some research for a friend and I have passed all the information I found to her.
I'll need to grab it back. :smile5:

It does surprise me how this forum reaches back in time to find answers to questions long forgotten by the poster.

A lesson to learn.... Stay in touch!