PDA

View Full Version : Mary Ann Rundle-Liskeard

forestlea65
23-07-2010, 7:54 PM
I'm trying to confirm a marriage and looking for any information on Mary Ann Rundle who was born abt 1825 in the Liskeard area -I believe that she married a William Lobb abt 1846 at Liskeard. The problem is that Lobb is such a popular name in Cornwall so any information on her or any children would be appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

Jan1954
23-07-2010, 8:12 PM
Hello Terry,

There is a marriage registration on FreeBMD in the June quarter of 1846, volume 9, page 225, Liskeard district, where Mary Ann RUNDLE and William LOBB appear on the same page. The certificate should confirm whether or not this is the right couple, but if you are not sure, it may be worth ordering it with just the name of one of the parties, rather than both.

judyg
24-07-2010, 1:24 AM
Hi Terry,

How sure are you that Mary Ann Rundle married a Lobb? The 1851 Census does not show any William and Mary Ann Lobbs that seem to fit, but if you do a search on the other grooms on the FreeBMD listing there is a Henry and Mary Ann Nicholas at Liskeard.

Cheers
judyg

forestlea65
25-07-2010, 8:02 PM
Hi Judy
Thanks for the information, the problem is that I I'm not sure who William Lobb married. Isabella Lobb who was born is 1858 at Crewkerne, Somerset is my Great-grandmother. On her birth certificate it shows her father as William Lobb and her mother as Mary Ann Lobb, formerly Blight. On the 1861 census it has the family as living at Crewkerne along with an older sister Elizabeth born abt 1850 in Liskeard, Cornwall -there is also an older brother William born in 1855 at Liskeard. Isabella's father William is shown as being born abt 1825 at Weare Giffard, Devon but so far I've not found any reference to him in Devon. In the 1861 census Isabella's mother Mary Ann is down as being born at St Maru, Cornwall. This is probably St. Mary's, but which St Mary's?
So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a marriage for a William Lobb and Mary Ann Blight between 1845-1852 and beginning to wonder if the couple did actually get married. I have now sent off for the birth certificate for Elizabeth to check if her mother is also down as Mary Ann Blight. I've come across a reference to Elizabeth in the Shiilingstone Baptisms 1838-1864 which records her being baptised on the 3rd August 1862 along with a younger brother James (b 1860) -the parents are William and Mary Ann.

I know that William and the family moved to the Swansea area soon after the 1861 census and he is shown in the 1871 census as being a widower living in Cardiff with his son James. BMD checks for deaths reveal that there was death of a Mary Ann Lobb in Swansea in 1864. On the same page it shows the death of an unknown male child named Lobb. That name is so unusual in the Swansea area that it seems to suggest that William lobb's wife Mary Ann died in childbirth in 1864 - I've now sent off for the death certificate and hope that this may show something.
I am however very keen in trying to find a marriage between William and Mary Ann. Your suggestion has led me think that I may have to cross-reference all BMD marriage records for Lobb and Blight against the 1851 census. This may help me to rule out certain references.

Thanks again for your help
Terry

MarkJ
25-07-2010, 8:53 PM
I think waiting for the certificate for the daughter Elizabeth is a good idea - you can then cross check the surname. I had a look for various combinations with Blight, but no joy.

St Maru? Hmm.... well plenty of St M something places in Cornwall - I would suspect St Merryn as a possible or perhaps St Mawes. If she was definitely from the Liskeard area, then St Neot perhaps?

Mark

Lizzy9
25-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Maybe Mary Ann had Elizabeth before she met William Lobb.

1851 Census. Lanreath, Liskeard.

Joseph Binney 28
Mary Binney 28
Mary J Binney 4
William Binney 3
Sarah G Binney 1
Mary A Blight/22/Lodger/St Mabyn
Elizabeth A Blight 4 Mo Lodger's child/St Pinnock

HO107/1903/322/6 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

judyg
25-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Terry,

A search on the 1851 census for an Elizabeth Lobb born 2 years either side of 1849 does not bring up any hits with the correct parents, however using the same criteria for an Elizabeth BLIGHT brings up the following at Census ref HO107 1903 322 6 has a Mary A Blight born born c1829 in ST MABYN Cornwall an unmarried Lodger with an Elizabeth A Blight 4 months old..

There is corresponding birth record for an Elizabeth Ann Blight in Liskeard reg. district. There is also a registration of a William Blight in 1855 in the same district.

Might be worth extending the years for a marriage for Mary Ann.

Cheers,
Judyg
P.S. Where did the Mary Ann RUNDLE reference come from?

KathNZ
25-07-2010, 11:14 PM
From Online Parish Clerks at www.cornwall-opc-database.org/

Parish: Braddock
Date: 23-Jan 1851
Name: Elizabeth Anne BLIGHT
Sex: dau
Father:
Mother: Mary-ann
Residence: St Pinnock
Father's rank/profession:
Register notes: base-born

forestlea65
26-07-2010, 8:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the possible leads. The reference in the 1851 census listing a Mary Ann Blight as an unmarried lodger with a 4 month daughter Elizabeth Ann is particularly interesting. I think any possible link with Mary Ann Rundle is a now a non-starter so many thanks for helping me to discard this path.
The parish record for Braddock for the 23 Jan 1851 would seem to confirm the details in the 1851 census that Mary Ann Blight was an unmarried mother - thanks for that Lizzy. When she met William Lobb is anybody's guess as I can't find a marriage between them.
My next move seems to look at the 1841 census for St Mabyn to see if that reveals anything on Mary Ann's parents.

Thanks again everyone for your help
Terry

forestlea65
31-07-2010, 6:50 PM
I've just had the birth certificate for Elizabeth Ann Blight, she was born on the 1st December 1850 at Calymazag, St Pinnock. Her mother was Mary Ann Blight who registered the birth on the 17th december 1850 -there is no father shown. From the 1861 census Mary Ann is shown as the wife of William Lobb although there doesn't seem to be a record of any marriage -the family, including my great-grandmother Isabella were at the time living at Chard Somerset. They later moved to Swansea where Mary Ann died in September 1864, 5 days after having a baby boy which also died at the age of two days old.
William and his son James were lodgers in Cardiff at the time of the 1871 census but I can find no reference for them after that date -maybe they emigrated. There is no record of Isabella, my grandmother, after the 1861 census - I wonder if after the death of her mother she went to live with some aunt -the search continues!!

Thanks everyone for your comments which have proved invaluable.
Terry

Lizzy9
31-07-2010, 8:28 PM
Hi Terry,

Please can give details of Isabella's marriage, as I can't find it. Thanks

Lizzy9
31-07-2010, 8:44 PM
Hi Terry,

Please can give details of Isabella's marriage, as I can't find it. Thanks

Got it, I think.

Sept 1884, Pontardawe, 11a/895. John Roberts, Elizabella Lobb

forestlea65
01-08-2010, 2:01 PM
Hi
That's the right one - 2nd August 1884. Where Isabella was between the 1861 census and her marriage is a mystery, I can't seem to find her on the 1871 or 1881 census. I've looked at variations of the name i.e Bella, Lizabella etc but no luck. The family moved from Crewkerne,Somerset, to Swansea in the early 1860's and her mother Mary Ann died there in 1864. Her father and brother were in Cardiff at the time of the 1871 census but after that they seem to disappear.

Terry