PDA

View Full Version : Mary Whiley

Fiona67
18-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi
I am hoping someone can help me. In my Whiley research I have Mary Whiley b 1802 Friskney Lincolnshire Father Samuel Whiley Mother Mary Stephenson. I know nothing about Mary until now. I was Googlesearching over the weekend and came upon a family tree online. It said that Mary m William Attwell cir 1823 Cape Town. They had 2 children George Robert Attwell b 1823 d 1910 and Mary Ann Attwell b Grahamstown. Mary d 17 December 1833 Keiskama River....she drowned. I was wondering how would I confirm this and when did Mary go to South Africa.

Hoping someone can help

Regards
Fiona

Sue Mackay
19-07-2010, 8:29 AM
I don't think this Mary is yours, although I could be wrong. William and Deborah WHILEY and family (Owen's Party) and Richard and Ann ATTWELL and family (Crause's party) were amongst the 1820 settlers (http://www.genealogyworld.net/nash/index.html) to the Cape of Good Hope. Mary Ann WHILEY, daughter of William and Deborah (NB not Samuel and Mary) was born on 5 Nov 1807 and baptised in St.Andrew's Holborn, London, on 20 Jan 1808. The image of the baptism is amonst the LMA records on Ancestry, as is the marriage of William WHILEY to Deborah STORY on 13 April 1807 in St.Bride's, Fleet, London. After arrival in South Africa, Mary Ann WHILEY married Richard Labrun ATTWELL, son of Richard and Ann, on 9 January 1826 in St.George's, Cape Town. There seems to be some confusion on the tree on 1820settlers.com as to whether Mary Ann also married Richard's brother, William, but I can't at present see any connection to Lincolnshire. It may be of course that some WHILEY cousins went out later to join the family.

Fiona67
19-07-2010, 8:39 AM
Thanks for that......I was wondering if it was my Mary