PDA

View Full Version : London Census Index CDs S&N vs. Ancestry

christopher_n_lewis
14-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi
I'm thinking about buying the "complete" London Census indexes for 1861, 1871, and 1891 from S&N. I already subscribe to Ancestry and am trying to decide how much I will gain - i.e. will I be able to find the more difficult people in S&N who don't show up in Ancestry?

In the past S&N have made a of point of saying that their indexes were compiled by local family historians, so were more accurate. I asked if this was still the case now they have accelerated the indexing and got the answer that "We have used local volunteers to check the oversees transcriptions, so that we could finish the indexes more quickly."

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the indexes?

I've used the S&N partial indexes, which are a bit clumsy since they are just one big PDF, and the surnames are not in uppercase. This is a particular problem since one of the surnames I'm interested in is LEONARD and variants, but of course I find lots of peope with that as a forename. S&N say these complete indexes come with an improved search program.

Can anyone comment on the new search program that comes with the "complete" indexes?

I know other threads have comment at length about indexes vs. transcriptions vs. originals. I used to go to the FRC which is a 2 hour journey each way, so images on CD and on-line are of great help to me. I use all the tricks and suggestions to narrow down the area to search, but the recent national indexes have helped me tremendously. How else to find someone who died in Hampstead Workhouse, London, was born in Deddington, Oxfordshire, but was in Devon in 1861 (but not in 1851 as far as I can tell, :( )

Christopher

Ken Boyce
14-05-2005, 6:40 PM
Hi Christopher
I think the most cost effective solution and one which will give you the best results is to subscribe to each of the S&N online complete or partial census year name indexes as and when you need access (you can buy a 3month sub for each)
For the images buy the Archive CD small sets for the areas of interest only

When you first locate a Piece of interest and order the relevent CD from Archive you will receive the CD in a few days. After awhile you will have built up a CD library at a fraction of the cost of buying all 5 complete sets of which you will only use a fraction of the CDs

christopher_n_lewis
20-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I think I didn't make myself clear. Cost isn't really an issue at the moment - but access, time and effort are, so is it worth searching the indexes from both companies? I guess the answer is yes, but searching the S&N partial indexes really irritates me. I'm just fussy, I guess. I was doing some searches the other day, and since they don't give the place of birth in the indexes I got really impatient.

It's amazing really, eighteen months ago I thought I was doing well finding people, and that was with surname indexes only, obtained by post from FHSs and then looking at films at the FRC (or sometimes searching whole streets/villages). And now I'm complaining about having two independent indexes - I've become spoiled by technology!

Three cheers for all those who've made it possible - including Archive CD Books, of course.

Christopher

Ken Boyce
20-05-2005, 1:17 AM
There is a difference between the S&N partial listings which have appeared on CD in a single searchable file using the archaic Windows Cont + F search engine and the two partial and full online versions (ref the 1891 and possibly the 1861)

I checked the S&N London 1891 online complete listing for LEONARD age 25 +/-5 which gave 132 returns in about 2 secs I don't have a recent CD version to compare

These 132 records are listed over 6 screens

christopher_n_lewis
23-05-2005, 2:11 PM
Ken - thanks for your reply. It seems the newer search engine is a big improvement. I think I will go with your suggestion of taking out a subscription when I need to. With luck, the online version will have periodic updates and corrections added!

Thanks
Christopher