PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers

Barbara Wilkinson
14-05-2005, 9:47 AM
I believe one of my ancestors was a lawyer - in Jersey at the time he gave his occupation on his son's marriage certificate, but possibly "somewhere in England" previously.
I believe that the annual Law List of practitioners from 1775 onwards are published and available at national archives. Are they easy to use - with scant information http://www.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif
Has anyone searched these records and could offer any advice?

John
11-06-2005, 4:09 PM
Barbara,
an awful lot of lawyer ancestors turn out to have been sawyers :)

John

Barbara Wilkinson
11-06-2005, 4:40 PM
What a disappointment that would be!!! There was I thinking that at last I had an ancestor with an occupation a cut (no pun intended!) above the common labourer or ag lab ...... :D

It would actually make more sense though - since his son was apprenticed to a carpenter .....

Burrow Digger
12-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Can someone please explain what exactly a Sawyer is?
I have a few in my line as well. :)
Thanks

BD

Barbara Wilkinson
12-06-2005, 12:36 AM
According to Google - and no, I could not believe it was so logical either ....

it someone who saws!!

Procat
12-06-2005, 5:34 AM
From Dictionary of old trades & occupations by Andrew & Sandra Twining:

Sawyer
A person who cuts and saws timber into planks and beams, ready for use by a Carpenter. Sawyers worked in pairs, at either end of a cross-cut saw, one above and one below the log that lay wedged across a specially dug pit. Being a Sawyer was a very laborious form of employment.

Fulhamster
12-06-2005, 11:36 AM
From Dictionary of old trades & occupations by Andrew & Sandra Twining:

Sawyer
A person who cuts and saws timber into planks and beams, ready for use by a Carpenter. Sawyers worked in pairs, at either end of a cross-cut saw, one above and one below the log that lay wedged across a specially dug pit. Being a Sawyer was a very laborious form of employment.Hiya!
From this occupation we get the term 'Top Dog'. At the sawpit you would have one chap down in the hole using his weight on the down or cutting stroke. The chap up top would pull the saw back up for the start of the next stroke. The chap in the hole not only worked that much harder but also got covered in all the sawdust. The man at the top was called the 'top dog'!