PDA

View Full Version : How to find a specific forum

Chrissie P
06-07-2010, 8:58 AM
I'm new to the site so please could you tell me how to go direct to a specific form, at the moment I am scrolling down all of them until I reach the one I want. Also, I see it is suggested that I change from Internet Explorer which I use, is this really necessary because at the moment the site is working well for me.

Procat
06-07-2010, 9:12 AM
You could try using Control F on the forum home page than type in the name of the forum you want. I am not aware of any other option though some one more astute may know of a way.

If IE is working for you there is no need to change.

MarkJ
06-07-2010, 9:15 AM
If the site is working OK for you, then no need to change browsers. Most of the problems which the upgrade to the forum introduced (many of which affected IE users) have been patched now.

Scrolling down through the list is what I do - but as a Moderator, I tend to visit all the different sections anyway ;)
You can add specific forums to your Subscriptions - just click the little link at the top of a forum which says Forum Tools and then click Subscribe to this forum.
Your Subscribed forums can then be accessed via Quick Links.

There is also a "Quick Navigation" button near the bottom right of each page - it will show the forum you are currently on. Clicking that forum name there will present a drop down menu which can be used to access another forum section.

Like most things online, it does take a bit of getting used to, but after a while the forum becomes easier to navigate around. I guess it is one of the joys of having so many different areas of interest for genealogists. We did prune some of the forums a while back to try to reduce the number of different places, but there are still a large number.

Mark

Chrissie P
06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Mark, I'll add the specific forums to my subscription as you suggest but will probably continue to scroll down because of all the interesting posting I see that have abolutely nothing to do with me, but which I can't resist reading. I can always learn something from them.

Chris.

Sue Mackay
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Mark, I'll add the specific forums to my subscription as you suggest but will probably continue to scroll down because of all the interesting posting I see that have abolutely nothing to do with me, but which I can't resist reading. I can always learn something from them.

Chris.

Most of us who visit the forum regularly click first of all on What's New (top right of screen), which lists any new posts since you last logged in. The forum on which they are posted is in the right hand column (which will also act as a link to that particular forum). This saves scrolling through the forums where nothing new has been posted.