PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on a Wimsett/Wilmshurst Will

Dorset Girl
30-06-2010, 5:06 AM
Could someone voice their opinion on the following query.
We have a will made in 1778 - brief details are
George WIMSETT, Seaman, etc do give devise and bequeath the same unto Mr Stephen WILMSHURST etc and nominate and appoint the said Stephen WILMSHURST Executor of this my last will.
The will was proved at London in 1783 by the oath of Stephen WILMSHURST, otherwise WIMSETT, the father of the deceased etc etc.
Nowhere in the actual will does it state that George WIMSETTis a WILMSHURST athough in the column where the names are it is written as George WILMSHURST otherwise WIMSETT.

Now we know that the WILMSHURSTs changed their names at one point to WIMSETT (no idea why) back in 1662 and again in 1861 and it seems they have done the same in this period as well. We have always assumed that George is a WILMSHURST but as the will does not state this name at all would he have been a WIMSETT and the name of WILMSHURST only used because his father had changed his name at one point after the birth of George?

They are a very confusing lot I must admit - it's a minor point in some ways but something I would like another point of view on please.

Thanks, Marion

Dorset Girl
02-07-2010, 1:31 PM
*bump No one with any bright ideas out there??

Peter Goodey
02-07-2010, 2:52 PM
Aren't WIMSETT and WILMSHURST just variants?

Dorset Girl
03-07-2010, 9:39 AM
There appear to be separate lines, especially in the 1600's and again in the 1800's - this one we have as a Stephen WILMSHURST who was a Senior Clerk and Watchmaker in Basingstoke and it would seem that his father was also a Stephen WILMSHURST. In the will George calls himself a WIMSETT all the way through but the bequeath is made to WILMSHURST. We were assuming that this was another "split" of some kind but can find no other details on the WIMSETTS in this area.
Marion