PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Census (Devon) question for ROD

Burrow Digger
12-05-2005, 3:45 AM
I just received my Devon 1841 census CD 2 for Aylesbeare (from Archives CD Books) today and was busy scrolling through it looking for my gt gt grandparents, when it occurred to me that "British Origins have a transcript of the 1841 Devon and I just bought me a subscription to that site last week. I'll use them to find my rellies much faster".

And it worked perfectly too. Theres nothing sweeter than using a paid subscription to find your rellies in the transcript (including the folio/page info) and then going straight to the right page with no hesitation and reading the original census images.

You all know how often we get told to "CHECK THE SOURCE DOCUMENTS" :D

But now I've discovered something curious.

Heres what British origins has (with names & details removed)

AYLESBEARE DEVON
HO107-0206-12
Folio No 9
Page No 15

But heres what I found at the same folio location on the Archives CD.

Folios 9-11 missing - not copied

How did British Origins get the correct information for those 3 folios when the original enumerator books apparently dont have them?

Rod Neep
12-05-2005, 5:12 AM
I don't know..... except perhaps something strange in the BO transcription.?

.... because the irony here is that we supplied British Origins with the census scans that they used! If, on our CD, it says those folios are missing, then that statement will be on the film.

I'll be sure to look into it though, and check it in the morning when I get into the office.

Regards
Rod

Burrow Digger
12-05-2005, 5:16 AM
Dont worry about it Rod,

I just went through the entire 206 again and didnt find anything that said "missing". The only folios 9-11 that werent shown were where the pages were blank and not copied. (206/2 & 206/12)

Please ignore this thread. I must be tired. Its after midnight - Eastern time in Canada :D

And now that I know that Archives CD Books supplied the census records to BO, then my subscription was definitely a good idea. :)

Rod Neep
12-05-2005, 2:17 PM
But I am still confused though :)

How can British Origins have people indexed from those blank pages?

Cheers
Rod

Terry
12-05-2005, 7:48 PM
I'm even more confused- Aylesbeare is in books 1 & 2. Book 12 is Colaton Raleigh!

In book 1 the note on the film says folio 12 to 13 not copied

In book 2 the note on the film says folio 15 & 19 not copied

BOOK 12 Colaton Raleigh has folios 9 to 11 not copied

Burrow Digger
13-05-2005, 1:38 AM
Like I said guys, it was after midnight :D

I thought I saw an error, just like I tawt I taw a puddycat :D